Koh-I Nor Hotel Adds More Luxury to French Alps
Fur features prominently in the handsome Koh-I Nor Hotel's 63 rooms and suites—on pillows, throws, and even the legs of generously sized beds. Located on the edge of Val Thorens ski resort, the five-story hotel (which opened in December) uses other eye-catching materials in its design, including wooden walls with horizontal planks for a rough-hewn look, creamy stone lining the bathroom's separate showers and soaking tubs, and furnishings upholstered in rich leather and suede.
For modern conveniences, every room has a flat-screen TV with satellite programming, a streamlined desk where you can access speedy WiFi, and in-room electronic safes. You might overlook all of this and head straight for the step-out balcony, where you're treated to views of the surrounding mountains.
The focal point of the hotel is the vast lobby lounge, where a two-sided fireplace keeps things toasty. Leather club chairs facilitate conversation with your fellow guests, while egg-shaped easy chairs are the perfect place to escape from the world for a while. Arched windows lead out to a vast terrace where you can gaze down at the valley.
Nearby are the hotel's two restaurants: a formal one for evening, and a more relaxed brasserie that's a favorite destination during the day because of the sunlight streaming through floor-to-ceiling windows. Chef Yoann Conte, a devotee of local ingredients who earned two Michelin stars at his last restaurant, oversees both eateries.
The ski room, accessed directly from the slopes, is done up in gleaming white. After a day on the slopes, head to the state-of-the-art exercise room, the pair of indoor pools, the sauna, or the steam room. You can even indulge in a treatment at the spa, where four rooms offer treatments from as far away as India, Thailand, or the Hawaiian islands. If you'd rather head into the village, take advantage of the hotel's shuttle service.
Mark Sullivan is a travel editor for Fodor’s, specializing in cities and cultural destinations. Follow him on Twitter: @markenroute.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Koh-I Nor Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $159 & up -- Bahamas Long Weekend Cruises incl. NassauNorwegian Cruise Line
- $157 & up -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 70% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $700* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $1675 & up -- 9-Nt. Bangkok, Singapore & Bali Package w/AirTripMasters.com
- $711 & up -- 7-Night Fall Canada & New England CruiseAmerican Express Travel