JFK, Atlanta Airports to Get Rooftop Lounges
Looking for something a bit different when it comes to airport lounges? Perhaps some outdoor space, where fresh air and warm sun can mix with a pre-flight snack and cocktail? Starting this summer Delta Air Lines will offer al fresco service at two of their lounges, one in Atlanta and another at New York's JFK Airport. The new facilities, called the Sky Deck, will be available in Terminal F at Atlanta and Terminal 4 at JFK. The Sky Deck at JFK is expected to open as early as May 2013 with the Atlanta Sky Deck expected later in the summer.
Designer Thom Filicia, chosen in conjunction with Architectural Digest magazine to work on the project, is excited by the new lounges and the opportunity they present to experience the better parts of travel. From the press release, "Amid the hustle and bustle of the airport experience, we seek to create a refuge, which represents Delta's dedication to elevated design and pays homage to an elegant lifestyle of travel and the spirit of flight." The Sky Decks are designed to reward guests with not only the typical amenities—a bar, snacks, and seats—but also to show off the airport facilities. Views of the runways will be emphasized, not blocked. Tim Mapes, Delta's SVP-Marketing notes, "The new outdoor terraces will...provide distinctive spaces with unprecedented outdoor runway views at two of the most globally significant airports in the world."
All too often the airport lounge experience in the USA is a disappointment. Dark spaces, dingy furnishings, and mediocre amenities seem to be the order of the day. With moves like this one, as well as renovations to a number of other lounges in their network, Delta is working to reverse that trend. Brighter, cleaner, open spaces are now on the agenda. And offering up outdoor space might just be the icing on the cake.
Oh, and did I mention outdoor space with awesome views of the runways? Yeah, that's absolutely unique and incredibly awesome.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Delta Airlines
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $1299 & up -- Ireland Tour: Dublin, Killarney & LimerickTourism Ireland
- $229 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruises incl. Extras & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $64 & up -- Savannah Hotels, B&Bs and Inns on Sale, 60% OffVisit Savannah
- $109* & up -- Premium Economy: Nationwide Fare Sale O/WVirgin America
- $138 & up -- San Francisco: 4-Star Hotel Holiday DealsSan Francisco Travel
- $68-$71 -- LA: Manhattan Beach Hotel w/Breakfast, 55% OffBookIt.com