JFK, Atlanta Airports to Get Rooftop Lounges
Looking for something a bit different when it comes to airport lounges? Perhaps some outdoor space, where fresh air and warm sun can mix with a pre-flight snack and cocktail? Starting this summer Delta Air Lines will offer al fresco service at two of their lounges, one in Atlanta and another at New York's JFK Airport. The new facilities, called the Sky Deck, will be available in Terminal F at Atlanta and Terminal 4 at JFK. The Sky Deck at JFK is expected to open as early as May 2013 with the Atlanta Sky Deck expected later in the summer.
Designer Thom Filicia, chosen in conjunction with Architectural Digest magazine to work on the project, is excited by the new lounges and the opportunity they present to experience the better parts of travel. From the press release, "Amid the hustle and bustle of the airport experience, we seek to create a refuge, which represents Delta's dedication to elevated design and pays homage to an elegant lifestyle of travel and the spirit of flight." The Sky Decks are designed to reward guests with not only the typical amenities—a bar, snacks, and seats—but also to show off the airport facilities. Views of the runways will be emphasized, not blocked. Tim Mapes, Delta's SVP-Marketing notes, "The new outdoor terraces will...provide distinctive spaces with unprecedented outdoor runway views at two of the most globally significant airports in the world."
All too often the airport lounge experience in the USA is a disappointment. Dark spaces, dingy furnishings, and mediocre amenities seem to be the order of the day. With moves like this one, as well as renovations to a number of other lounges in their network, Delta is working to reverse that trend. Brighter, cleaner, open spaces are now on the agenda. And offering up outdoor space might just be the icing on the cake.
Oh, and did I mention outdoor space with awesome views of the runways? Yeah, that's absolutely unique and incredibly awesome.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Delta Airlines
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays