IKEA Announces Budget Hotels
Low-cost, assemble-yourself furniture company Ikea has announced a plan to establish a line of budget-friendly hotels in Europe. In a twist, guests will not be asked to put together their own beds or mini-bar.
As reported by the Associated Press, Inter Ikea, the company that owns Ikea's intellectual property rights, is planning to open 100 hotels across Europe through its property division, though the hotels won't be branded as "Ikea" or contain any of the company's furniture.
The first two hotels are expected to open in Germany in 2014, with properties to follow in Belgium, the Netherlands, Britain, Poland, and the Nordic countries, according to the AP. Ikea will be operating the hotels with another company who remains as yet unnamed. The name of the hotel line will be announced sometime in September. Inter Ikea already owns properties on the continent, including sites in the Netherlands, Poland, Belgium, and Spain.
Harold Muller, development manager of Inter Ikea's property division told the AP that, while the Ikea name and umlaut-laden furniture will not be present in the hotels, the philosophy of "good quality at a reasonable price," will link the hotels to the world's largest furniture retail store.
"We're aiming to spread all over Europe," he said.
The real question is, when the name of the line is finally announced, will we as Americans be able to pronounce it, or will we fake it? Also, will they have meatballs?
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons/Daniel S.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $119 & up -- Alabama: 4-Star Birmingham Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Birmingham
- $1237 & up -- 6-Nt Tokyo & Beijing Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $199 & up -- Manhattan Westin near Grand Central, Save 60%The Westin New York Grand Central
- $118 -- 4-Diamond Calgary Hotel: Weekends w/ParkingWestin Calgary
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Queensland Trip w/Barrier Reef TourTourism and Events Queensland
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales