Hotel Zetta Opens Monday in San Francisco
What better city than San Francisco to debut a luxury boutique hotel that turns recycled electronics into art and is completely plugged in (there's free WiFi)? And if you want to bring your pooch that's no problem, as this is a pet-friendly property.
On Monday Hotel Zetta—part of Viceroy Hotel Group's new "urban retreat collection"—opens its doors in San Francisco's SoMa (South of Market) district. Designed by Seattle-based Dawson Design Associates Inc., which has also orchestrated cutting-edge interiors at Hotel Viking in Newport, R.I., and Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco, a focus on using sustainable, modern, chic, and recycled materials was employed throughout the 116-room hotel. For example, the front desk was reborn from a lumberyard's reclaimed wood and a stash of old sunglasses was used to create a chandelier. Formerly the Hotel Milano, the name change and ownership shift brings new life to the 100-year-old building.
Hotel Zetta spans eight floors with four room categories. In each room is a desk made from kitchen butcher blocks (suitable for working on a laptop while standing), an illy espresso machine, plugged-in capabilities via a tablet or smartphone so you can tune into your favorite music and movies from the room's flat-screen TV, and free WiFi (on your devices and on the TV, too). The spacious bathroom is stocked with Neil George toiletries and features a mosaic-tiled walk-in shower.
The Playroom is designed to mimic a cozy family room but with a retro twist: there's a pool table, shuffle board, and video games, along with a red London-style telephone booth from which you can dial out for room service.
Through the end of January, the hotel asked locals to bring in their used technology, items like cell phones, small electronics, computer chips, and games, setting up drop stations in recycled wine barrels at the hotel's showroom. All of that was crafted into an art installation on display at Hotel Zetta starting next week.
A wellness center in the hotel includes a gym with Technogym equipment, an Arke wall, and a TRX station. Massages and spa treatments can be arranged at a spa in the Westfield Shopping Center next door.
A restaurant opens later in the year with details to be announced in the coming months.
In celebration of the opening, rates have been reduced to $175 per night—which translates to 30% off—until March 1 and can be booked here.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy Viceroy Hotel Group
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $188 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 45% OffThe Westin Boston Waterfront
- $3599 -- Balcony: Weeklong Mediterranean Cruise w/AirfareOceania Cruises
- $1199 -- Dominican: Iberostar Garden Bungalow Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $161 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $2999 -- 10-Night Award-Winning Asia Cruise, Save $1000Windstar Cruises