Hotel Trend? Rooms that Spin
As bizarre as it sounds, a hotel room that shifts on an axis makes a lot of sense. When you tire of the view, wait a minute and it changes.
The Design Wine Hotel—a 23-room luxury property in Caminha, a historic port city 60 miles from Porto—introduced five suites at its opening earlier this year that do just that. Designed by Portuguese architect Pedro Guimaraes, these suites are on a platform that rotates independently. No button-pushing or lever-pulling necessary. Over a five-minute-period twice a day, the room revolves 35 degrees. It's timed such that you might, in the few minutes before falling asleep, gaze out at the mountains but wake up looking at the Minho River.
While the 18th century manor was refurbished for the hotel opening, adjacent to that is a solar-powered steel-construction building reflecting the modern era, and where the revolving suites are. In each of the rooms are artisan-made, edgy touches (like video and street art, and bold graphics), and the hotel's Whitebox gallery hosts changing art exhibits as well as pool tables. Design Wine Hotel's restaurant puts a contemporary twist on Portuguese cuisine, and a variety of Portuguese wines are poured in the wine bar (with a strong focus on Vinho Verde, Portugal's most highly coveted budget wine).
Rates start at 80 Euros per night.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Design Wine Hotel
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
What an interesting twist. However, the best way to get a new view is to travel in a balcony or oceanview cabin onboard a cruise ship, where each day you have a different view of a beautiful port.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $649 & up -- Jamaica 4-Nt. All-Incl. Luxury Escape, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $329 & up -- Western Caribbean 7-Nt. Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1394 & up -- Ireland: 6-Night Dublin Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $849 & up -- Balcony on Bahamas Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line