Hotel Trend: Gourmet Airport Meals To Go
Despite some recent upgrades, most airport restaurants offer unadventurous bites. To best resolve the mediocre dining crisis (yes, crisis), luxury hotels across the country have begun providing gourmet meals to go. From Boston to Seattle, high-end hotels and resorts are dishing out gourmet meals made to order right before their guests' departures. We rounded up the best of the hotels that have recently launched these miraculous "meals to go" menus that ensure convenient (and tasty) bites.
Four Seasons Hotel Boston
The 273-room Four Seasons Hotel Boston in the Back Bay neighborhood recently introduced a menu specifically for departing travelers. For Your Trip Home allows guests to select a meal from a boutique menu to be hung on the hotel room doorknob the night before they check out. Guests can choose a breakfast, lunch, "classic," or dinner menu, the latter comprising a selection ranging from jumbo shrimp cocktails to chilled 8-oz beef tenderloin with asparagus and mushroom salad.
Los Angeles, California
At LA's Hotel Bel-Air, legendary Wolfgang Puck and his crew recently created Meals on the Move, a menu available to hotel guests that can be made to order right before departure. Guests can order via in-room dining with an hour's notice. Many of executive chef Sonny Sweetman's signature items are included in the menu, and dishes range from the signature Bel Air Club (maple glazed turkey, smoked ham, crispy bacon, gruyere, and fried egg) to a Lobster Cobb Salad (avocado, chopped egg, blue cheese, bacon, balsamic vinaigrette, and lobster).
Hotel Monaco Denver
The newly redesigned, 189-room Hotel Monaco Denver is a AAA Four-Diamond property known to offer perks like free access to bikes, in-room yoga mats, free WiFi, and a complimentary wine reception in the lobby. The hotel recently launched the Breakfast with Wings menu, where guests can order breakfast as early as 6 am to take to the airport with them. The menu includes house-made granola with yogurt and fresh berries, breakfast panino with egg, fontina cheese, and bacon or sausage on freshly baked croissant and steel cut oats with brown sugar, raisins, dried blueberries, toasted pine nuts, and crumbled banana chips. Best of all, every item is less than $10.
Four Seasons Hotel Seattle
Sporting bay views, the luxurious Four Seasons Seattle located downtown offers a fantastic dining scene where locals and visitors alike can grab fresh Northwest cuisine sourced mostly from the popular Pike Place Market's array of local produce. The signature Art restaurant (named after both the hotel's impressive art collection and the Seattle Art Museum across the street) offers the "Want It To Go, Let Us Know" menu, with dishes available from the in-room or breakfast menu.
The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Newport, Rhode Island
Known to host elegant weddings, the charming The Chanler at Cliff Walk in Newport woos visitors with its signature Spiced Pear restaurant open year-round. The hotel recently started offering to go boxes for guests checking out and boarding planes, trains, and automobiles. The menu is currently limited to two wrap options accompanied by a side salad, fresh fruit, and sweet treat.
Jimmy Im is a freelance travel writer based in LA. He's hosted programs on the Travel Channel and LOGO, and makes regular appearances on morning news shows as a "travel expert." Follow him on Twitter: @dieselmad.
Four Seasons Hotel Boston: Courtesy of Four Seasons Hotel Bel-Air: Courtesy of www.hotelbelair.com Hotel Monaco Denver: Courtesy of Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group, LLC Four Seasons Hotel Seattle: Courtesy of Four Seasons Hotel Seattle The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Courtesy of The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Yum! I've heard good things about the Bel Air Club
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $912* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $57 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Suite w/Daily BreakfastPalace Resort
- $11.95 & up -- Rental Cars across the United StatesHotwire.com
- $95 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan Hotel, Save 15%Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $899 -- Suite on Princess 7-Night Cruises w/$275 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Queensland Trip w/Barrier Reef TourTourism and Events Queensland