Hotel Sans Souci Opens in Vienna
This 63-room hotel’s name translates to "without worries"—and indeed, guests will find nothing but pampering inside its art-covered walls. Nowhere is this more true than in the Hotel Sans Souci's design. Philippe Starck’s yoo design firm orchestrated the revamp of this 1872 historical building, folding in antique furnishings and original artwork from Allen Jones, Picasso and Rizzi. As a member of Preferred Hotel Group’s Preferred Boutique collection, more than half of the art inside the Hotel Sans Souci is from the owner’s private collection, making the hotel into an art gallery for guests.
Rooms feature designer furnishings, parquet floors, gold murals and bathrooms with marble floors and steam showers. The in-house spa and the Slow Food movement-inspired restaurant La Veranda allow for home-grown luxury without leaving the hotel, while the "Pimp Your Stay" options range from a manicure upon arrival to chocolates for two back after exploring the city (a fitting intro to Austria, long known for its exquisite chocolates).
If you feel the pull of centuries of Viennese art and culture from outside the hotel walls, you'll find Museum Quarter (home to Leopold Museum and mumok, among others) and Mariahilfer Straße, the famous shopping promenade, just a short walk away. That the hotel is also located in Vienna’s most artsy, bohemian neighborhood – Spittelberg – means you’re close to fashion designer’s boutiques, garden-front restaurants, and a cool cinema fresh off an extensive renovation (Theater am Spittelberg). You can also explore the city on foot—this is Vienna’s second-largest pedestrian zone.
In celebration of the hotel’s opening, Hotel Sans Souci has unleashed a deal: the Suite Dreams special offers 20% off suite accommodations (regularly $360) for minimum two-night stays. Come on—you know you want to see which original Roy Lichtenstein piece hangs in your suite.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credits: Courtest of Hotel Sans Souci
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $7499 -- Luxe Cruise to Spain, Italy, Greece w/Air & DrinksRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak
- $3599 -- Balcony: Weeklong Mediterranean Cruise w/AirfareOceania Cruises