Hotel Sans Souci Opens in Vienna
This 63-room hotel’s name translates to "without worries"—and indeed, guests will find nothing but pampering inside its art-covered walls. Nowhere is this more true than in the Hotel Sans Souci's design. Philippe Starck’s yoo design firm orchestrated the revamp of this 1872 historical building, folding in antique furnishings and original artwork from Allen Jones, Picasso and Rizzi. As a member of Preferred Hotel Group’s Preferred Boutique collection, more than half of the art inside the Hotel Sans Souci is from the owner’s private collection, making the hotel into an art gallery for guests.
Rooms feature designer furnishings, parquet floors, gold murals and bathrooms with marble floors and steam showers. The in-house spa and the Slow Food movement-inspired restaurant La Veranda allow for home-grown luxury without leaving the hotel, while the "Pimp Your Stay" options range from a manicure upon arrival to chocolates for two back after exploring the city (a fitting intro to Austria, long known for its exquisite chocolates).
If you feel the pull of centuries of Viennese art and culture from outside the hotel walls, you'll find Museum Quarter (home to Leopold Museum and mumok, among others) and Mariahilfer Straße, the famous shopping promenade, just a short walk away. That the hotel is also located in Vienna’s most artsy, bohemian neighborhood – Spittelberg – means you’re close to fashion designer’s boutiques, garden-front restaurants, and a cool cinema fresh off an extensive renovation (Theater am Spittelberg). You can also explore the city on foot—this is Vienna’s second-largest pedestrian zone.
In celebration of the hotel’s opening, Hotel Sans Souci has unleashed a deal: the Suite Dreams special offers 20% off suite accommodations (regularly $360) for minimum two-night stays. Come on—you know you want to see which original Roy Lichtenstein piece hangs in your suite.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credits: Courtest of Hotel Sans Souci
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- $799 -- Balcony on 7-Night Caribbean Cruise w/$250 in ExtrasCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxury Caribbean Cruises on Windstar, 50% OffWindstar Cruises
- $726* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $2899 -- Hong Kong & China: 10-Night Trip on 5-Star AirlineHong Kong Tourism Board
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand