Hotel Paradox to Open this Month in Santa Cruz, California
Mod surf culture has once again washed ashore in Santa Cruz, Calif., but this time it's in the form of a new hotel. The Hotel Paradox—which opens Aug. 15 on Ocean Street downtown—capitalizes on the hip, laid-back vibe of a small-town surf community but also kicks it up a notch with modern, eco-savvy features, like a check-in desk crafted from a fallen eucalyptus tree.
Orchestrated by the San Francisco-based Orlando Diaz-Azcuy Design Associates, and part of BPR Properties (behind the trendy Hotel Keen, open since 2010 in Palo Alto), what was once the University Inn & Conference Center is now a 170-room boutique hotel. There's a brand-new indoor-outdoor bar lounge and restaurant, as well as a remodeled pool and new fitness center (which overlooks the pool). Each of the rooms (large wall prints of the nearby forests contrast nicely with muted grays, blacks, and whites that contribute to a white-washed effect) is packed with little luxuries like flat-screen televisions, iPod docks, down-bedding packages (on request), and eco-friendly bath products. (Pillow snobs will love the services of the hotel's 'pillow butler,' who provides pillows—whether it's hypoallergenic down or foam—off a special 'pillow menu.') Each room has something 'green' in it, too, with a conservation-minded HVAC system and custom headboards made out of reclaimed snow fences. Much of the furnishings were custom-made for the hotel.
Solaire Restaurant + Bar is the hotel's indoor-outdoor bar lounge and restaurant providing alfresco seating in two posh locations: near the pool or with a view of surrounding redwood trees. (Guests can also opt to dine indoors.) Or, you can hole up in a cabana. Or, better yet, cozy up to a fire pit on a chilly night. Whether for breakfast, lunch, or dinner the dishes (mostly small plates) rely upon locally farmed, sustainable ingredients and can be paired with Central Coast wines. Even the cocktails carry a locavore twist and contain locally grown ingredients.
Photo credits: Courtesy of The Hotel Paradox
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Night Trip w/B&Bs & 5-Star CastleGreat Value Vacations
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1397 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 7-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Havana Vacation w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $99 & up -- Austin Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $284 & up -- 3-Day Cruise to Nassau w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines