Holland America Rescues 70 Stranded Tourists in Alaska
In the great maritime tradition of coming to the aid of others, Holland America Line's ms Volendam—while on the way to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska—rescued 70 people from a disabled sightseeing vessel on August 19, 2012.
The 79-boot Baranof Wind struck a rock near Russell Island in Glacier Bay and the impact disabled the vessel's steering and propulsion system. The ship soon began taking on water. The distress call went out at 11:16 am.
Volendam arrived on the scene and greeted 69 tourists and one Glacier Bay park ranger. The day-trippers were first cleared by security and given a safety briefing before Volendam chefs provided them a meal.
Volendam later transferred the rescued passengers to an Allen Marine boat, which took them back to Bartlett Cover, where their day had begun.
"It's the code of the sea to provide assistance in an emergency, and Captain Peter Bos and his crew responded quickly and professionally to render aid to the passengers of Baranof Wind," said HAL's CEO, Stein Kruse. "We are proud of our officers and crew, and this is a shining example of how our training prepares us to react to any situation."
The U.S. Coast Guard also extended its praise and thanks to the crew for their quick response to the emergency.
Volendam spends the summer exploring Alaska's Inside Passage via a series of seven-night round-trip voyages out of Vancouver, Canada. The ship calls on Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Holland America Line.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays