Holland America Rescues 70 Stranded Tourists in Alaska
In the great maritime tradition of coming to the aid of others, Holland America Line's ms Volendam—while on the way to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska—rescued 70 people from a disabled sightseeing vessel on August 19, 2012.
The 79-boot Baranof Wind struck a rock near Russell Island in Glacier Bay and the impact disabled the vessel's steering and propulsion system. The ship soon began taking on water. The distress call went out at 11:16 am.
Volendam arrived on the scene and greeted 69 tourists and one Glacier Bay park ranger. The day-trippers were first cleared by security and given a safety briefing before Volendam chefs provided them a meal.
Volendam later transferred the rescued passengers to an Allen Marine boat, which took them back to Bartlett Cover, where their day had begun.
"It's the code of the sea to provide assistance in an emergency, and Captain Peter Bos and his crew responded quickly and professionally to render aid to the passengers of Baranof Wind," said HAL's CEO, Stein Kruse. "We are proud of our officers and crew, and this is a shining example of how our training prepares us to react to any situation."
The U.S. Coast Guard also extended its praise and thanks to the crew for their quick response to the emergency.
Volendam spends the summer exploring Alaska's Inside Passage via a series of seven-night round-trip voyages out of Vancouver, Canada. The ship calls on Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Holland America Line.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $594* & up -- Fly to Ecuador from the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $1329 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nts w/Air, Hotels & TransferEuropeanDestinations.com
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort