Holland America Rescues 70 Stranded Tourists in Alaska
In the great maritime tradition of coming to the aid of others, Holland America Line's ms Volendam—while on the way to Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay, Alaska—rescued 70 people from a disabled sightseeing vessel on August 19, 2012.
The 79-boot Baranof Wind struck a rock near Russell Island in Glacier Bay and the impact disabled the vessel's steering and propulsion system. The ship soon began taking on water. The distress call went out at 11:16 am.
Volendam arrived on the scene and greeted 69 tourists and one Glacier Bay park ranger. The day-trippers were first cleared by security and given a safety briefing before Volendam chefs provided them a meal.
Volendam later transferred the rescued passengers to an Allen Marine boat, which took them back to Bartlett Cover, where their day had begun.
"It's the code of the sea to provide assistance in an emergency, and Captain Peter Bos and his crew responded quickly and professionally to render aid to the passengers of Baranof Wind," said HAL's CEO, Stein Kruse. "We are proud of our officers and crew, and this is a shining example of how our training prepares us to react to any situation."
The U.S. Coast Guard also extended its praise and thanks to the crew for their quick response to the emergency.
Volendam spends the summer exploring Alaska's Inside Passage via a series of seven-night round-trip voyages out of Vancouver, Canada. The ship calls on Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Holland America Line.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com