Hip Mama Shelter Hotel Opens in Lyon, France
The hip, artsy boutique-hotel brand Mama Shelter has already blown into Istanbul, Paris, and Marseille, and now they've set up shop in Lyon, France, too.
Guests get access to not only eclectic, stylish décor—right on down to lime-green closet walls—but modern perks include complimentary WiFi and on-demand movies, a 27-inch iMac in each room preloaded with Skype so you can say "bonjour" to friends back home, and a digital concierge available by pressing buttons on the TV screen. Bathrooms are stocked with Absolution skin-care products. There are five room categories, Mama Luxe is the smallest and Big Mama Terrace Corner is a step up from Mama Penthouse. Opt for Big Mama Terrace Corner and you get a bathtub and a sofa in your room (sofa's are also available in Big Mama Penthouse and Big Mama Terrace). Mama Shelter's concierges can help plan off-property excursions tailored just for you.
The hotel's restaurant is eccentric to the core, housing a foosball table, black-and-white striped banquettes, a wall hung with guitars, and lampshades that make it feel more like a cozy living room than a hotel space. Inflatable inner tubes in a rainbow of hues hang above the Island Bar, where cocktails are prepared with fresh fruits, herbs, and vegetables. A wine list is available at the restaurant and DJ-powered sets fill the space on weekend nights. Over breakfast, keep tabs on the day's news with one of many global papers and magazines on offer. The fun doesn't stop there: be sure to pop into Mama Shop, a reinvention of the traditional hotel gift shop with the typical (forget your toothbrush or need more toothpaste?) along with the unexpected (offbeat little trinkets).
Room rates at Mama Shelter's Lyon property start at 49 Euros ($65) per night (for Mama Luxe).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Mama Shelter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1365 & up -- Paris & Barcelona 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $130 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 45%The Westin Chicago River North
- $899 & up -- Ends 4/18: Hawaii 7-Nt. Cruise w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $139 & up -- Florida 4-Star Cape Coral Resort, 30% OffThe Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $139 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 40% OffSan Francisco Travel
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago