Hip Mama Shelter Hotel Opens in Lyon, France
The hip, artsy boutique-hotel brand Mama Shelter has already blown into Istanbul, Paris, and Marseille, and now they've set up shop in Lyon, France, too.
Guests get access to not only eclectic, stylish décor—right on down to lime-green closet walls—but modern perks include complimentary WiFi and on-demand movies, a 27-inch iMac in each room preloaded with Skype so you can say "bonjour" to friends back home, and a digital concierge available by pressing buttons on the TV screen. Bathrooms are stocked with Absolution skin-care products. There are five room categories, Mama Luxe is the smallest and Big Mama Terrace Corner is a step up from Mama Penthouse. Opt for Big Mama Terrace Corner and you get a bathtub and a sofa in your room (sofa's are also available in Big Mama Penthouse and Big Mama Terrace). Mama Shelter's concierges can help plan off-property excursions tailored just for you.
The hotel's restaurant is eccentric to the core, housing a foosball table, black-and-white striped banquettes, a wall hung with guitars, and lampshades that make it feel more like a cozy living room than a hotel space. Inflatable inner tubes in a rainbow of hues hang above the Island Bar, where cocktails are prepared with fresh fruits, herbs, and vegetables. A wine list is available at the restaurant and DJ-powered sets fill the space on weekend nights. Over breakfast, keep tabs on the day's news with one of many global papers and magazines on offer. The fun doesn't stop there: be sure to pop into Mama Shop, a reinvention of the traditional hotel gift shop with the typical (forget your toothbrush or need more toothpaste?) along with the unexpected (offbeat little trinkets).
Room rates at Mama Shelter's Lyon property start at 49 Euros ($65) per night (for Mama Luxe).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Mama Shelter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona
- $849 & up -- Playa del Carmen 5-Star All-Incl. Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $309 & up -- Fort Myers Resort near Sanibel Island, 25% OffSanibel Harbour Marriott Resort & Spa
- $175-$199 -- Oahu: Waikiki Hotel near Beach, Save 40%Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
- $127 & up -- 4-Star Sheraton Times Square Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Times Square
- $131 & up -- Toronto Harbor Hotel incl. Weekends, Save 35%Westin Harbour Castle Toronto