Hip Hotel Normandie Opens in LA's Koreatown
One of LA's most architecturally significant accommodations, the Hotel Normandie, recently underwent a major facelift. Hotel Normandie first debuted in 1926, deep in the city's Wilshire District and was developed by a trio of then-famous architects (Karl Elliott, Albert R. Walker, and Percy A. Eisen). The Walker & Eisen firm designed some of the most iconic buildings during the 1920s and 1930s, including the Beverly Wilshire, and the United Theatre.
After a $5 million renovation, Hotel Normandie reopened in September, introducing travelers to a delightful marriage of old and new. Modern-day comforts like flat-screen televisions and free WiFi in the rooms are bonuses to the sumptuous feel of the terrazzo tiles in the lobby, carpet runners, and transom windows throughout.
Each of the 91 rooms is decked out with birdcage-motif wallpaper, a pinstriped shower curtain, hardwood floors, and a Keurig coffeemaker. There are four room categories: Standard, with a queen or king bed; Double, with two double beds; Junior Suite, complete with a wet bar and seating area; and King Suite, boasting all of the above plus a parlor
By spring, Hotel Normandie will also boast Le Comptoir, when the prix-fixe pop-up eatery evolves into full-dining fare.
Make sure to enjoy an introductory special to kick off the hotel's new beginning with 25 percent off room rates when booked through the website.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Hotel Normandie
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into June, One WayVirgin America
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $659 & up -- Cozumel: Beach Escape incl. Meals, Drinks & AirApple Vacations
- $3799 -- Vietnam 10-Night Cruise w/Credit, Save $1000Windstar Cruises
- $449 & up -- Norwegian Getaway Caribbean Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line