High-Design Luxury Hotel Opens in the Maldives
Earlier this week, a new hotel popped up in the Maldives, adding another layer of luxury lodging to this far-flung tropical destination.
Designer Jean Michel-Gathy, of Denniston Architects in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, whose first property in the Maldives is the One&Only Reethi Rah Maldives, was hired to create the new Cheval Blanc Randheli. His detail and attention throughout the four-year design process shows, with a crisp, clean design that straddles both modernism and coastal-chic. This is not the first Cheval Blanc, however—the first popped up in Courchevel, France, in 2006, with a Givenchy spa, plus Louis Vuitton and Dior merchandise for sale. Cheval Blanc is the name of luxury brand LVMH's vineyard, fitting as LVMH Hotel Management (part of LVMH, whose holdings include Louis Vuitton) owns and operates these two hotels.
Perched on the island of Randheli—on Noonu Atoll, 40 minutes north of Malé International Airport, where a Cheval Blanc seaplane retrieves guests—Michel-Gathy culled ideas from his extensive world travels to devise a comfortable, luxurious retreat at Cheval Blanc Randheli that's largely inspired by private residences, but consists of 45 villas. Each villa is awash in nature-inspired hues with cathedral-style ceilings and lots of natural light, with the beach easily accessible via glass doors on both sides.
Woven into the architecture throughout the property are natural materials like teak, rattan, bamboo, leather, bronze, thatch, coconut, and shell—paired with neutral colors like taupe, white, and gray, which contrast with pops of canary yellow and lime green. The hotel also boasts an infinity-edge pool, a marble-and-quartz sculpture by French artist Vincent Beaurin, and a thatched-hut roof that reminds of the tropics.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credits: Courtesy of the Cheval Blanc Randheli
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149 & up -- 'Sun & Fun' Cruise Sale w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $586* & up -- KLM: Europe Summer Fares (R/T, incl. Tax)KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines
- $39 & up -- Amtrak: One-Way Northeast Fares, 25% OffAmtrak
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $1487 & up -- Rio & Buenos Aires 6-Nts. w/Air & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $1145 & up -- Ireland 7-Nt. 4-City Package w/Air, HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com