High Line Hotel Opens in New York City
New York City is loaded with hotels of all sorts, but the latest introduction is a delightful hybrid. The High Line Hotel, in Chelsea across from the namesake High Line park, is inside a late-19th Century red-brick Gothic landmark on the landscaped grounds of a seminary. Throughout the transformation into a hotel, the building's original stained-glass windows, moldings, pine floors, fireplace mantels, and stairwells were preserved.
Five room categories are within the 60-room hotel, which opened on late last month and was once student housing for General Theological Seminary. (Before that, it was an apple orchard owned by poet Clement Clarke Moore, best-known for his "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" poem.) Interior design by Roman and Williams Buildings and Interiors resulted in a playful blend of eclecticism and Gothicism. Surprising artwork, vintage furniture, and antique carpets were sourced from around the world and thoughtfully arranged in each spacious room, which frames a view of either the High Line park or the interior quad. Each room also features a unique accessory: a custom embosser with the hotel's five different logos, to snazz up any correspondence or doodling.
Upon arrival, guests are checked in via iPad and invited to relax with a latte paired with a pastry at Intelligentsia Coffee (the Chicago roaster's first East Coast location). Later this summer, a front courtyard will debut with café-style seating, a cocktail menu, and a small-plates menu, as will an enclosed rear patio.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of The High Line Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- $79 & up -- New Orleans Hotel Sale up to 65% OffNew Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau
- $68 & up -- Arizona: Lake, Grand Canyon & Sedona ToursVisit Mesa
- $165 & up -- Bermuda Hotel Sale w/Free Nights, up to 65% OffBermuda Tourism Authority
- $89 & up -- Hotel Deals Across Arizona through WinterVisit Arizona
- $119 -- D.C. 4-Star Georgetown Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Graham Georgetown
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel