Heading to the Pumpkin Patch? Take These Tips
Pumpkin picking season is here! But before you hit the patch, check out a few of the tips we've culled from Jim Murray, owner of Applejacks Orchard in Peru, New York to help you pick your perfect pumpkin.
"Number one," says Murray, "pick an appropriate size." Save the 20 pound pumpkin for the porch display and pick up a couple small ones for the kids. "Kids want a small pumpkin they can carry," says Murray.
Check the pumpkin before you buy it! "Kids seem to think pumpkins are balls and kick them," says Murray. Check for marks and dents that can start to rot.
It starts with the stem. Check for a thick, solid stem, says Murray, as rot often starts from the stem down.
Decided to get your pumpkin ahead of time? Help it last with a quick trick. Mix a little bleach with water, says Murray, and wash the the outside of the pumpkin. The solution will help kill fungus living on the outside of the pumpkin, which will stave off rot and keep your pumpkin Halloween-worthy longer.
Pick the right pumpkin for your needs. If you're carving that sucker up, go with a larger pumpkin for its thinner walls. If you're baking a pie, ask the orchard owner if they have "sugar" or "pie" pumpkins, which have thicker walls, more meat, and are sweeter.
Do you have any pumpkin tricks (or treats) up your sleeve? Share them in the comments!
Photo credit: Pumpkin patch courtesy of Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 5 Best Perks of Flying in Premium Economy
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- 5-Nt. Jamaica All-Incl. Getaway w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $149-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $699 -- Costa Rica: 4-Star All-Incl. Riu Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $2089 & up -- Panama Canal 13-Day Cruise incl. Costa RicaCarnival Cruise Lines
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $1999 & up -- Italy in Summer: Rome Vacation w/Air & TourGreat Value Vacations