Get Tapas on the House in Granada, Spain
While the Spanish tapa, or small plate, is still a bit of a novelty in American bars, in its country of origin, it's so much the norm that in city Andalucian city of Granada, it's free. If you're traveling in the region and are feeling a bit peckish, order a couple drinks at a restaurant or, yes, tapas bar and you'll most likely be given a free snack. (Other cities known for complimentary tapas include Salamanca, Madrid, and Leon, though the practice is more prevalent, and is best known in, Granada.)
The tapas in Granada and the surrounding area range from puntalitas (small fried squid) to berenjenas con miel, a Granada specialty of eggplant with sugar cane syrup, with classic dishes like potatoes with onions, fried bacalao (salted cod), rustic bread with Manchego cheese or ham, and pan con tomate (the delicious Spanish answer to bruschetta) to round them out.
Generally if you order alcohol or even a soda at a restaurant, you'll get tapas on the house. But as American ex-pat and Granada resident Caroline Wheeler points out, it's important to mind one's P's and Q's when it comes to free food: "Never, never complain about the tapa." While some places allow you to pick your tapas, the food is a gift from the establishment, Wheeler explains, and the staff might not be afraid to give you a stern talking to if you gripe about what they've offered once it's been served. A couple other points to remember: If you're a vegetarian, you can ask about a veg-only tapa ahead of time. And this is very important so pay attention: Once you've ordered your main meal, tapas are off the table. So Wheeler recommends ordering drinks only first and then ordering your entrees once the tapas have been served.
Photo credit: Traditional Spanish tapas via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $224 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Summer, Reg. $400The Westin New York Times Square
- $59* -- Mammoth to Los Angeles this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $99* -- Sacramento to Boise this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $999 & up -- Hawaii: 7-Night All Island Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $5199 -- Namibia 11-Night Adventure w/Air, Save $600Friendly Planet Travel