Futuristic Luna2 Hotel to Open in Bali
Bali has long been known for its throwback tropical seduction but with the September opening of Luna2 Studios the island is poised to attract jetsetters in search of design, fashion, luxury, and the ultra-hip.
Melanie Hall—owner of the brand-new 14-suite hotel in Seminyak and the daughter of an architect who introduced her to modern design during the 1950s and 1960s—merged nostalgia with futurism in every nook and cranny. Inspired by the primary-color palettes that exist in Lego bricks, Monopoly game boards, Rubik's cubes, and works by Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, the hotel is just a short walk from the beach and a 20-minute drive to the airport. Named for the first spacecraft to land on the moon, during the 1950s, there's a nod to cosmic spaces throughout. In another nod to futurism, an environmental ethos includes using green cleaning products, low-voltage lighting, and recycling of waste. Herbs are grown on the hotel's rooftop and as much produce as possible is bought from local farmers who eschew pesticides in favor of organic crops.
A 16-seat movie theater dubbed the Lunaplex (screening a mix of new movies and old classics three times a day and serving gourmet hot dogs and popcorn-infused drinks), Space (a rooftop bar), and a color-block mosaics swimming pool complete with underwater sounds make this a playground for adults. Other common spaces in the hotel include Orbit (its restaurant) and Fuel Station (a fitness center with everything from personal-training sessions to poolside massages). Dishes at Orbit are crafted by executive chef Brenden Peace and influenced by pop culture, also featuring cosmic references. An underground wine cellar appeals to wine-loving guests.
Each open-floor plan suite is decorated with a primary color—blue, red, yellow, or green—and works by Dutch artist Irene Hoff hang on the walls. Hall herself designed and made the modular furniture and chose accessories sourced from around the globe. A pre-loaded iPod (plus a docking station) ensures you're never without good tunes. An iPad and two retro appliances (a Brionvega television and colorful Smeg fridge), along with a snack bar stocked with Champagne and Chupa Chups lollipops alike, complete the look.
This summer, rates start at EUR 300 ($398). Booking three nights means you only pay for two (this special includes breakfast).
Two more Luna2 Studios hotels are planned in the future: in Phuket, Thailand; and Niseko, Japan.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Luna2 Studios/Design Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $45 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Spring, $440 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $3999 -- Oceanview Suite: 10-Night Luxury Asia CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $145 & up -- San Diego Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $609 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, 55% OffRoyal Caribbean