Follow Favorite: dguttenfelder
David Guttenfelder's iPhone photos give a rare and intimate glimpse into a backwards, enigmatic world—he photographs North Korea at cell-phone camera range, letting us get close to the reclusive nation's everyday objects, scenes, and propaganda that most will only ever see on a screen. Guttenfelder is the Associated Press chief Asia photographer and is currently on assignment in North Korea for National Geographic magazine, allowing him rare access to witness the country's highly secretive happenings.
His captures range from puzzling to eerie to beautiful, but everything is downright fascinating. There's his recent series of "artifacts," like a DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) flag "friendship pin" for sale to foreign visitors, a bottle of DPRK mushroom booze, and Ginseng tonic meant to treat "diabetes, insomnia, heart disease, neurosis, and 'importance.'" Then there are the spectral, cinematic black and white captures of young soldiers playing ping pong in Pyongyang or marching in spooky lock-step on Kim Il Sung Square. And then, there are the videos—Guttenfelder is actually able to capture footage of mass events and everyday operations within the country, like one particularly bizarre clip of North Koreans wailing en masse and waving pink flowers at their leader Kim Jong Un while walking in a mass military parade.
It's a truly unique look into a foreign world most will never get to—or want to—see firsthand. Definitely follow Guttenfelder's Instagram if you want to stretch your view of the world.
Want to be our next weekly dose of travel inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and be sure to tag your posts #FodorsTravel so we know you want us to take a peek. Be sure to check back next week to see another featured Fodor's follower!
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Hotel Opening: London's Ham Yard Hotel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1065 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $743* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $134-$151 -- Cabo All-Inclusive Beach Resort, Save 50%Riu Santa Fe
- $1349 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $150-$168 -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort in Peak Season, 60% OffHotel Riu Palace Peninsula