Follow Favorite: dguttenfelder
David Guttenfelder's iPhone photos give a rare and intimate glimpse into a backwards, enigmatic world—he photographs North Korea at cell-phone camera range, letting us get close to the reclusive nation's everyday objects, scenes, and propaganda that most will only ever see on a screen. Guttenfelder is the Associated Press chief Asia photographer and is currently on assignment in North Korea for National Geographic magazine, allowing him rare access to witness the country's highly secretive happenings.
His captures range from puzzling to eerie to beautiful, but everything is downright fascinating. There's his recent series of "artifacts," like a DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) flag "friendship pin" for sale to foreign visitors, a bottle of DPRK mushroom booze, and Ginseng tonic meant to treat "diabetes, insomnia, heart disease, neurosis, and 'importance.'" Then there are the spectral, cinematic black and white captures of young soldiers playing ping pong in Pyongyang or marching in spooky lock-step on Kim Il Sung Square. And then, there are the videos—Guttenfelder is actually able to capture footage of mass events and everyday operations within the country, like one particularly bizarre clip of North Koreans wailing en masse and waving pink flowers at their leader Kim Jong Un while walking in a mass military parade.
It's a truly unique look into a foreign world most will never get to—or want to—see firsthand. Definitely follow Guttenfelder's Instagram if you want to stretch your view of the world.
Want to be our next weekly dose of travel inspiration? Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and be sure to tag your posts #FodorsTravel so we know you want us to take a peek. Be sure to check back next week to see another featured Fodor's follower!
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays