Faktum Hotels Lets You Experience Homelessness for a Night
In November of last year, a non-profit street newspaper out of Gothenburg, Sweden established a chain of 10 hotels around the city. The rooms are budget friendly, but amenities are rather...unusual. In fact, 100 sek (about $15) gets you a variety of options—from a sleeping bag beneath some foliage in a park to a filthy mattress by the junction of the Säve and Göta rivers.
According to Faktum Hotels, Gothenburg contains about 3,400 homeless people, and the "rooms" one can "book" at their hotels are sites representative of the harsh living conditions the homeless in this city endure. Faktum, the street newspaper from which the hotel draws its name, is looking to start a conversation about homelessness in the city, as well as provide a means of support for the homeless population, whose members sell the newspapers. The cost of the room goes to support the organization's goal of job creation for the city's homeless.
According to Faktum Hotels' site, there's no way to guarantee that your actual "room" will be available to sleep in. Each site has been chosen and prepared by a member of the homeless population that Faktum serves.
"Most people enjoy Faktum Hotels as a virtual experience and share it with their friends on Facebook and Twitter," says Faktum editor-in-chief Aaron Israelson. "The main goal is to raise awareness and spread involvement."
To date, about 1,000 rooms have been booked. For more information or to book a room for you or a friend, visit their website.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of FaktumHotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $1129 & up -- 8-Nt. Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $4599 -- Suite: 15-Night Luxury Indian Ocean CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $2385 & up -- Italy: 5-Night Rome Escape w/Air & ToursSceptre Tours