Faktum Hotels Lets You Experience Homelessness for a Night
In November of last year, a non-profit street newspaper out of Gothenburg, Sweden established a chain of 10 hotels around the city. The rooms are budget friendly, but amenities are rather...unusual. In fact, 100 sek (about $15) gets you a variety of options—from a sleeping bag beneath some foliage in a park to a filthy mattress by the junction of the Säve and Göta rivers.
According to Faktum Hotels, Gothenburg contains about 3,400 homeless people, and the "rooms" one can "book" at their hotels are sites representative of the harsh living conditions the homeless in this city endure. Faktum, the street newspaper from which the hotel draws its name, is looking to start a conversation about homelessness in the city, as well as provide a means of support for the homeless population, whose members sell the newspapers. The cost of the room goes to support the organization's goal of job creation for the city's homeless.
According to Faktum Hotels' site, there's no way to guarantee that your actual "room" will be available to sleep in. Each site has been chosen and prepared by a member of the homeless population that Faktum serves.
"Most people enjoy Faktum Hotels as a virtual experience and share it with their friends on Facebook and Twitter," says Faktum editor-in-chief Aaron Israelson. "The main goal is to raise awareness and spread involvement."
To date, about 1,000 rooms have been booked. For more information or to book a room for you or a friend, visit their website.
Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of FaktumHotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand