Fairmont Opens First Hotel in India
Making its first foray into India, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts opened the doors to the Fairmont Jaipur on August 9. Jaipur is commonly dubbed the "Pink City," which references the forts, gardens, avenues, and palaces that were painted pink in 1876 to welcome the Prince of Wales.
While the standard amenities are in place, from dining to spa-ing, what's different about this swank 200-room property (a reimagining of the Mughal palace, where good food and drink was always in abundance) is a chocolate buffet at Zoya, a masala-chai station, a rooftop bar, a smoking room (Cigar Diwan), and a tea lounge (Anjum) pouring first-flush teas.
From 1526 to 1707, the Mughal dynasty ruled most of Northern India and the design from that era was a mix of Persian, Ottoman, and Islamic influences. At the Fairmont Jaipur, this translates to detailed patterns; low-level lighting; ceiling adornments in gold, blue, and red; turquoise and gold accents in the rooms; and artistic touches like carved screens and hidden terraces.
On arrival, guests walk under an archway into a courtyard, then into a reception area like the one where court nobles would often wait for their prince. Durbar Hall, once a formal meeting space, now hosts a tea buffet with views of the palace gardens. In the rooms are lavish furnishings like four-poster beds inspired by Portuguese colonial design, a raised soaking tub, and a Mughal-style day bed.
There is also an outdoor pool, 10,000-square-foot spa (in what was once the private quarters for court women), yoga studio, and lush gardens (home to birds, small deer, white peacocks, and parakeets, as well as a reflecting pool that's illuminated at night) to help travelers unwind. In the evenings, guests are encouraged to relax in the gardens on a cushioned bench next to a fire pit.
To coincide with the opening, Fairmont Jaipur's "Seeing is Believing" package (available until October 31) gets you a third night free when booking two nights, and local cultural experiences such as folklore storytelling, Rajasthan dance show, and a village walk. Rates from $180 per night.
Photo courtesy of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts/Fairmont Jaipur
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Small Airlines You Should Know
- 10 Best River Cruises for 2014
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to New York City
- Fodor's Approved: 10 Best Carry-On Bags for 2014
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Nuremberg
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $429 & up -- Ends 11/21: Bahamas Cruise Sale w/$100 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $159 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals w/ExtrasVisit West Hollywood
- $265 & up -- 4-Star Cancun Resort w/$50 Credit, Save 20%The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun
- $289-$359 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $239 & up -- Ends 11/21: Norwegian Cruise Sale w/$100 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $20 & up -- Arizona Tour, Spa, Golf & Dining Deals, 70% OffVisit Arizona