Fab Hotel La Citadelle Metz Opens in France
The new Hotel La Citadelle Metz represents a glossy, stylish new beginning for what was once a military building dating back to 1559.
Open late this summer, the 45-room (plus one suite) hotel is in Metz, France, which is in the country's northeast corner and two hours from Luxembourg. It's where the Seille and Moselle rivers meet. Tucked into the property is a Michelin-starred restaurant (Le Magasin aux Vivres) where Christophe Dufossé orchestrates meals—for lunch (daily except for Saturday and Monday) and dinner (every day but Sunday and Monday)—that include seven- and 10-course tasting menus. There's a focus on using seasonal ingredients as well as decadent accents like foie gras and caviar in the dishes. Cooking classes are also offered at the restaurant. A bar with an arched entrance offers full bar service as well as Champagnes in an environment featuring dim lighting and bold-red decor.
A contemporary design in each of the rooms—think lots of steel and glass, paired with deep-red walls and animal-print carpeting—translates to an upscale-meets-Old-World vibe. A mini bar, plasma television, and free WiFi are just some of the in-room perks.
Five themed packages entice travelers to Hotel La Citadelle Metz, including Pompidou-Metz Package (included with the one-night stay is breakfast, two seven-course dinners with a glass of Champagne and two passes each for Pompidou Museum and Cour d'Or Museum) and Pampering Package (dinner at the restaurant for two plus breakfast is included with a one-night stay).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Hotel La Citadelle Metz
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 US Places to See Before You Die
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- $629 & up -- Jamaica Beach Trip w/Air & Kids Free, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $919* & up -- Flights to South Africa on Sale (R/T w/Tax)South African Airways
- $219 & up -- 5-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Hotel, 25% OffThe Beloved Hotel
- $599* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $789 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $9 & up -- Holiday Gift Guide: Deals on 1000+ ExperiencesTravelzoo