Etihad Airways Introduces Farm-to-Flight Menus
Tapping into travelers' locavore interests, earlier this summer Etihad Airways—the United Arab Emirates' main carrier—rolled out an industry first: farm-sourced in-flight food menus that use organic ingredients.
The airline didn't just place an order with a farm. It partnered with one: the airline's 200 free-range hens and three beehives are kept at Abu Dhabi Organics Farms, the United Arab Emirates' first internationally certified-organic farm and in operation since 1997. Eggs from the hens are used for the "eggs any style" breakfast for Diamond First Class passengers. Whether your vice is scrambled or sunny-side up, on-board chefs whip them up for you as you start a new day. Honey from the bees is used as an ingredient in dishes served in all cabins, as well as hot tea.
In addition to eggs and honey, Etihad Airways developed a 100-percent organic dish that's proof airline meals can be more than just peanuts. Ingredients are sourced from organic farmers in the United Arab Emirates. Tomato caprese salad is included in the Diamond First Class Mezoon Grille menu and features cherry tomato, basil, rocket-leaf lettuce, mozzarella, and olive oil. And that's not all. Plans call for adding organic signature pickles so that guests can munch on a snack seasoned with paprika, chili, onion, capsicum, and dates. Served alongside warm bread and a cheese plate, in-flight dining has never been this good.
Photos courtesy of Etihad Airways
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $2199 -- Cuba: 5-Nt. Havana Vacation w/Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $719 & up -- 7-Night Canada & New England Cruise, $575 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $123 & up -- Cancun Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $118 & up -- Philadelphia Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago