Etihad Airways Introduces Farm-to-Flight Menus
Tapping into travelers' locavore interests, earlier this summer Etihad Airways—the United Arab Emirates' main carrier—rolled out an industry first: farm-sourced in-flight food menus that use organic ingredients.
The airline didn't just place an order with a farm. It partnered with one: the airline's 200 free-range hens and three beehives are kept at Abu Dhabi Organics Farms, the United Arab Emirates' first internationally certified-organic farm and in operation since 1997. Eggs from the hens are used for the "eggs any style" breakfast for Diamond First Class passengers. Whether your vice is scrambled or sunny-side up, on-board chefs whip them up for you as you start a new day. Honey from the bees is used as an ingredient in dishes served in all cabins, as well as hot tea.
In addition to eggs and honey, Etihad Airways developed a 100-percent organic dish that's proof airline meals can be more than just peanuts. Ingredients are sourced from organic farmers in the United Arab Emirates. Tomato caprese salad is included in the Diamond First Class Mezoon Grille menu and features cherry tomato, basil, rocket-leaf lettuce, mozzarella, and olive oil. And that's not all. Plans call for adding organic signature pickles so that guests can munch on a snack seasoned with paprika, chili, onion, capsicum, and dates. Served alongside warm bread and a cheese plate, in-flight dining has never been this good.
Photos courtesy of Etihad Airways
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best River Cruises for 2015
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Under-the-Radar Attractions in the U.S.
- $129 -- Scottsdale Luxury Resort incl. Weekends, 60% OffOmni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
- $149 -- Arizona: Scottsdale 5-Star Resort w/$100 in ExtrasThe Boulders, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
- $169-$189 -- Florida: Pensacola Hotel Spring Sale, 40% OffVisit Pensacola
- $4099 -- Australia: Uluru, Darwin & Thala Beach Escape w/AirAspire Down Under
- $167 & up -- 4-Star Westin NYC-Area Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $779 & up -- Riviera Maya: 'Secrets' All-Incl. Escape w/AirCheapCaribbean.com