Etihad Airways Introduces Farm-to-Flight Menus
Tapping into travelers' locavore interests, earlier this summer Etihad Airways—the United Arab Emirates' main carrier—rolled out an industry first: farm-sourced in-flight food menus that use organic ingredients.
The airline didn't just place an order with a farm. It partnered with one: the airline's 200 free-range hens and three beehives are kept at Abu Dhabi Organics Farms, the United Arab Emirates' first internationally certified-organic farm and in operation since 1997. Eggs from the hens are used for the "eggs any style" breakfast for Diamond First Class passengers. Whether your vice is scrambled or sunny-side up, on-board chefs whip them up for you as you start a new day. Honey from the bees is used as an ingredient in dishes served in all cabins, as well as hot tea.
In addition to eggs and honey, Etihad Airways developed a 100-percent organic dish that's proof airline meals can be more than just peanuts. Ingredients are sourced from organic farmers in the United Arab Emirates. Tomato caprese salad is included in the Diamond First Class Mezoon Grille menu and features cherry tomato, basil, rocket-leaf lettuce, mozzarella, and olive oil. And that's not all. Plans call for adding organic signature pickles so that guests can munch on a snack seasoned with paprika, chili, onion, capsicum, and dates. Served alongside warm bread and a cheese plate, in-flight dining has never been this good.
Photos courtesy of Etihad Airways
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $211 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Copley Place, Boston
- $105-$135 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $263 & up -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 65%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $119 & up -- D.C. Area Hotel Sale thru Summer, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $169-$199 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $79-$119 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria