Download Now: Google Field Trip
Google recently released Field Trip, an app that taps into the useful, interesting, and bizarre world around you. This hyper-local, hyper-informative sidekick, currently only available for Android (iPhone compatible version is in the works), runs in the background on your smartphone. When you drift into an area that Field Trip finds intriguing, a detailed card automatically pops up on your screen, providing information on anything like a cool boutique nearby, a highly rated sushi joint, or movie location trivia.
Don't really care if you're standing on a block where they filmed As Good As It Gets? Well, luckily for you and your boring dearth of pop culture knowledge, you can tailor the kind of information you get via a local feed option.
Field Trip utilizes information from sources like Arcadia, Thrillist, Food Network, Cool Hunting, Songkick, and more to bring you quality picks for wherever you are in these categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art, and Obscure Places of Interest. A list function displays points of interest in order of distance from you.
On the road? The app is smart enough to detect that you're driving and will read a Field Trip card to you. Bluetooth and headset compatibility is also available. Sharing is available on Google+, Twitter, and Facebook.
Field Trip is available for free on Google Play for Android, and will be available for Apple iOS sometime in the future, though no date has been released yet.
Photos courtesy of Google Field Trip
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Cool stuff. Been using Tagwhat (www.tagwhat.com) for a while now. Spent the weekend playing with both Field Trip and Tagwhat. Tagwhat seems to give me a TON more information everywhere I was, plus they also show me nearby Facebook pages and Tweets.. has come in handy quite a bit. Will keep both apps and see how they grow.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 US Places to See Before You Die
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- $4999 -- Balcony: Alaska Luxury Cruise w/Air & All ToursRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $127* & up -- Cheap Flights to Portland, Ore. (R/T, w/Tax)Travel Portland
- $138 & up -- San Francisco: 4-Star Hotel Holiday DealsSan Francisco Travel
- $119-$159 -- Orlando 4-Star Resort at SeaWorld, Save 45%Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld
- $459 & up -- 4-Star Bahamas Beach Getaway w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $898* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand