DoubleTree by Hilton Opens First Hotel in Spain
DoubleTree by Hilton has debuted its first property in Spain, just in time for the new year. Located on the country's Costa Brava in the province of Girona, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Emporda offers 87 rooms with expansive views and access to the best of the region.
Accent walls in the rooms are painted in bright cherry-red and canary-yellow hues. All feature panoramic views of the hotel’s golf course and nearby mountains through sliding-glass doors with direct access to the outdoors on the lower level. The rooms themselves feature minimal furnishings; the draw here is the view.
Guests have access to an outdoor pool, two 18-hole golf courses designed by Robert von Hagge with views of lakes, rolling sand dunes and Empordà Forest, and an indoor lap pool and spa with thermal water circuit. For beach lovers, the sand is just a 15-minute drive from the hotel; options include Begur, Aiguablava, Calella, and Llafranc beaches. Visitors can enjoy prime scuba diving in the nearby waters, and history buffs can check out the historic Medes Islands (home to Michelin-starred restaurants, a boon for foodies) and the medieval villages of Pals and Peratallada.
Hungry guests have a range of options on site, including Tramuntana, with chef Guillem Lama at the helm, dedicated to using locally grown ingredients; Links, which overlooks the 19th hole at one of the two golf courses; and an al-fresco barbecue feast during the summer.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo Credits: Courtesy DoubleTree by Hilton
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers