Delano Hotel opens in Marrakesh
Mention the Delano Hotel and most people think of South Beach but as of September 2012, there's a new Art Deco Delano property on the landscape: in Marrakesh. As with many of the other hotels operated by parent company the Morgans Hotel Group, there is minimal signage marking the new Delano, but the hotel's funky black-metal façade immediately announces a scene-setting presence among the refined red-stone hotels and residences in the posh Hivernage area outside of the Marrakesh's frenetic medina.
Enter the lobby and you're leaving Morocco behind: the interior is unmistakably Jacques Garcia, with lush purples, dark velvets, and dramatic contemporary art—and an international jet-setter clientele milling about, waiting for the party to get started. Because the Delano Marrakesh, like it's sister hotel, is about the scene, and the rooftop terrace, with lounge beds, moat-like pool, and open-air seafood restaurant is the place to head—for soaking up the desert sun during the day, and partying at night. Rooms are understated but luxurious; you'll feel pampered without being overwhelmed. Hotel amenities include a vast subterranean spa for rejuvenating after last night's party, and for primping before the next round: try a spa or hammam treatment, then relax by the inky dark underground pool.
There are 44 deluxe rooms and 27 suites; three pools including the roof-top pool, the spa's pool, and a ground-floor pool by the lobby restaurant. WiFi is free throughout and breakfast is included in the rates.
Pros: Happening jet-setter scene; great rooftop terrace and pool; fabulous art and décor; sumptuous spa
Cons: Most rooms could use more light; hotel doesn't look or feel very Morocco; expensive.
Address: Angle Av. Echouhada at Rue des Temples Marrakesh, Morocco 40000
Photos courtesy of Delano Marrakesh
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays