Delano Hotel opens in Marrakesh
Mention the Delano Hotel and most people think of South Beach but as of September 2012, there's a new Art Deco Delano property on the landscape: in Marrakesh. As with many of the other hotels operated by parent company the Morgans Hotel Group, there is minimal signage marking the new Delano, but the hotel's funky black-metal façade immediately announces a scene-setting presence among the refined red-stone hotels and residences in the posh Hivernage area outside of the Marrakesh's frenetic medina.
Enter the lobby and you're leaving Morocco behind: the interior is unmistakably Jacques Garcia, with lush purples, dark velvets, and dramatic contemporary art—and an international jet-setter clientele milling about, waiting for the party to get started. Because the Delano Marrakesh, like it's sister hotel, is about the scene, and the rooftop terrace, with lounge beds, moat-like pool, and open-air seafood restaurant is the place to head—for soaking up the desert sun during the day, and partying at night. Rooms are understated but luxurious; you'll feel pampered without being overwhelmed. Hotel amenities include a vast subterranean spa for rejuvenating after last night's party, and for primping before the next round: try a spa or hammam treatment, then relax by the inky dark underground pool.
There are 44 deluxe rooms and 27 suites; three pools including the roof-top pool, the spa's pool, and a ground-floor pool by the lobby restaurant. WiFi is free throughout and breakfast is included in the rates.
Pros: Happening jet-setter scene; great rooftop terrace and pool; fabulous art and décor; sumptuous spa
Cons: Most rooms could use more light; hotel doesn't look or feel very Morocco; expensive.
Address: Angle Av. Echouhada at Rue des Temples Marrakesh, Morocco 40000
Photos courtesy of Delano Marrakesh
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $609 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $59* & up -- Spring Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $779 & up -- Mexico: All-Incl. 4-Star Dreams Vacation w/AirApple Vacations