Delano Hotel opens in Marrakesh
Mention the Delano Hotel and most people think of South Beach but as of September 2012, there's a new Art Deco Delano property on the landscape: in Marrakesh. As with many of the other hotels operated by parent company the Morgans Hotel Group, there is minimal signage marking the new Delano, but the hotel's funky black-metal façade immediately announces a scene-setting presence among the refined red-stone hotels and residences in the posh Hivernage area outside of the Marrakesh's frenetic medina.
Enter the lobby and you're leaving Morocco behind: the interior is unmistakably Jacques Garcia, with lush purples, dark velvets, and dramatic contemporary art—and an international jet-setter clientele milling about, waiting for the party to get started. Because the Delano Marrakesh, like it's sister hotel, is about the scene, and the rooftop terrace, with lounge beds, moat-like pool, and open-air seafood restaurant is the place to head—for soaking up the desert sun during the day, and partying at night. Rooms are understated but luxurious; you'll feel pampered without being overwhelmed. Hotel amenities include a vast subterranean spa for rejuvenating after last night's party, and for primping before the next round: try a spa or hammam treatment, then relax by the inky dark underground pool.
There are 44 deluxe rooms and 27 suites; three pools including the roof-top pool, the spa's pool, and a ground-floor pool by the lobby restaurant. WiFi is free throughout and breakfast is included in the rates.
Pros: Happening jet-setter scene; great rooftop terrace and pool; fabulous art and décor; sumptuous spa
Cons: Most rooms could use more light; hotel doesn't look or feel very Morocco; expensive.
Address: Angle Av. Echouhada at Rue des Temples Marrakesh, Morocco 40000
Photos courtesy of Delano Marrakesh
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers