Crystal Cruises to Install "Living Wall"
It's always fun to see how cruise lines try to out-do each other. One ship installs a rock-climbing wall, and a dozen ships suddenly have one. A cruise line curates a world-class collection of art, and other companies scramble to follow suit. Passengers, of course, benefit from this type of one-upmanship.
Luxury cruise line, Crystal Cruises, has teamed with ANS Group Europe to create something unique that will appeal to art loves and gardeners: a living wall. This curiosity—a 40-foot-wide by 8-foot-high wall of plants—will adorn an interior wall of Crystal Symphony's alfresco dining area.
Florists will "sculpt" the wall to look like a world map by using a wide variety of subtropical plans. At each port of call, the ship's captain will visit the wall and add an additional plant to mark the ship's location. Forget the real-time GPS maps in the observation lounge; this will be a fun and different way for passengers to keep track of their route.
A spokesperson for ANS Group Europe was happy to discuss the project, saying, "Installing living walls on a cruise ship is taking us to a completely new level and opens up all sort of possibilities. When you think this wall will travel as far north as Lapland and down to Cape Horn, it takes your breath away!"
Crystal Cruises has two intimate luxury vessels sailing the world. On September 5, 2012, the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony ends its summer season in Europe and sails from London to New York City, from which she'll embark on a series of itineraries around New England and Canada. Sister ship Crystal Serenity stays in the Mediterranean until early December.
Photo credits: Courtesy of ANS Group Europe
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers