Crystal Cruises Wants You to Dine with the Hobbit
Listen up, guys. Crystal Cruises is currently offering one of the coolest movie-related shore excursions ever: dinner on the "Hobbiton" set in Tauranga, New Zealand. The set was used for the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as the upcoming prequel, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The movie makes its debut in the United States on December 14.
Tauranga, on North Island, is a popular cruise port on the Bay of Plenty. Visitors head here for the beaches, Maori cultural tours, art galleries, museums, and fine dining paired with New Zealand wines.
Crystal Cruises passengers will have the unique chance to play make-believe in the fantasy world created by J.R.R. Tolkien and brought to life in Tauranga by The Hobbit's movie crew. These offbeat excursions are offered on the December 20 "Southern Summer Holiday" and the January 29 "Asia Pacific Adventure" voyages aboard Crystal Symphony.
The event will include a private, after-hours guided tour of the village movie set. Guides re-tell a captivating narrative that explains how the movie was filmed and the massive undertaking of building "Middle Earth" in New Zealand.
An old-fashioned "kiwi" barbeque, featuring local wines and beer, caps off the tour. The wait staff will even don Lord of the Rings costumes to put everyone in the spirit.
Crystal's vice president of Land & Port Operations, John Stoll, is proud to bring Middle Earth to travelers: "This is an extraordinarily timely opportunity for Crystal guest to be transported to place that many fantasy-fiction genre fans, movie buffs, as well as wine and foodies, and off-the-beaten path travelers from around the globe can only dream of visiting."
The Hobbiton dinner and village exploration tour costs $265 per person. Cruise fares for the December 20 cruise start at $8,505 per person. Fares for the January 29 cruise begin at $4,480.
Photo credit: Crystal Cruises
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
What a great cruise to be on especially if you a fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Hopefully instead of the "An old-fashioned "kiwi" barbeque" there will be a Hangi instead.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $185 & up -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, Save 25%Westin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $135-$150 -- Suite: 4-Star All-Incl. Jamaica Beach ResortBookIt.com
- $165 & up -- SC: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 40%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $94-$151 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $53 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa
- $1705 & up -- Costa Rica 8-Nt. Eco-Adventure incl. AirGreat Value Vacations