Colorful Villa Polaroid Opens on St Barths
Just as its name suggests, the brand-new Villa Polaroid is awash in bright hues like turquoise, pink, lime green, and orange.
That the two-bedroom, three-bath villa is on tony French-owned St. Barts and within Hotel LeVillage Saint-Barth—along St. Jean Bay—means guests get access to lots of upscale amenities, like a fitness center, swimming pool, and 10 acres of lush gardens.
Although the villa was built 30 years ago on top of St. Jean Hill, only recently did it undergo an extensive transformation—lasting three years and costing millions of dollars—that brings to mind the Pop Art movement spawned by Andy Warhol, as well as Polaroid photography. Retro Polaroid cameras are displayed in white boxes then hung on the walls. A hand-painted headboard in the master bedroom serves as an homage to Warhol, plus artists Roy Lichtenstein and Keith Haring.
In the villa's kitchen, which is an orange, gray, and white space that opens out to a private garden filled with bamboo, orchids, aloe plants, and locust trees, is a dishwasher, coffeemaker, oven, tableware, and top-of-the-line German refrigerator/freezer. The wooden deck is very multi-purpose with ample room in little nooks and crannies to sip coffee, relax with a good book, and work on your tan. A strong indoor-outdoor aesthetic is the villa's charm, including a barbecue area, outdoor dining table, a Mahogany tree providing lots of shade, and a small pool. Also featured in the villa are WiFi; a library with books, CDs, and DVDs; works by local artists; and an outdoor shower. The villa rental includes free usage of a rental car.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Kate Hill
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers