Churchill Downs to Build Exclusive "Mansion"
We're not scandalized by much, but if there has been one thing that's had us clutching our pearls around the water cooler, it's been the decline in the exclusivity at Kentucky's Churchill Downs. Well, they're finally doing something about it.
Churchill Downs has announced construction of the 'Mansion', a luxurious and ultra-exclusive gathering space for Derby patrons located on the sixth floor of the Clubhouse. The Mansion should be ready just in time for the 2013 Derby and Oaks.
Guests at the Mansion (can't help but chuckle a little at the name) will no longer have to rub elbows with general public, but will instead ride a private elevator to their cocoon (er, Mansion). Once there, they'll enjoy views of the iconic Twin Spires on the covered terrace. Inside, guests will find a dining room, living room, library, parlor (yes, they still make those), and a veranda as well as a foyer and bar. The Mansion can fit 320 of society's finest. Access to a private wine cellar and concierge service are included of course.
The Mansion is one of four projects the Downs has in the works; a new Media Center, located next to the Paddock and comprised of media work stations, big screen TVs, and conference areas, will be available to journalists for the October Fall Meet. Food and bar facilities will be available, too.
In addition, the Paddock Pavilion will be razed to the ground to open up space for Derby Patrons, and a new Gold Room for Churchill Downs VIPs has been installed on the second floor of the Clubhouse with greater seating capacity. It will open in August. All told, the four renovations total $9 million in investment for the Downs.
Eager patrons enticed by the Mansion take note: sitting in there for the Derby and the Oaks is by invitation only. According to the Downs, potential patrons are being contacted as we speak. We eagerly await their call.
Photo credit: Churchill Downs via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1799 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From AtlantaAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $179-$199 -- S.C. Hilton Head Island 4-Star Resort, 30% OffHilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $898 & up -- Costa Rica 6-Nights w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $549 & up --Ends 4/18: Bahamas 7-Night Cruises w/CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism