Chic Hotel Debuts in Costa Rica: Andaz Peninsula Papagayo
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, in Guanacaste, Costa Rica, on December 20. It debuts on the heels of Andaz Maui at Wailea's September opening on the Hawaiian island of Maui.
Perched alongside the Pacific Ocean, and with views of the Bay of Culebra, Costa Rican architect Ronald Zurcher was tapped to create a free-flowing design—inspired by the shapes of cocoons and seashells—that fits into Andaz's philosophy of curating a place to capture local culture. For example, surf enthusiast twin brothers Alex and Mike Faherty (of Faherty Brand, a line of surf and swim lifestyle apparel) have authored a How to Surf Costa Rica Guide for guests, and there are 15 artworks by Salvador Odrec throughout the hotel that offer an intimate glimpse of Costa Rican culture. An exclusive hotel soundtrack is also filled with songs inspired by Costa Rica as selected by Jared Dietch, a New York City DJ who has done the same for The James Hotels.
With 28 acres of oceanfront property, each of the 153 rooms and 21 suites has a balcony with bay views, and comes decorated with woven textiles and carved artifacts. Free Wi-Fi, unlimited local calls, and no-cost minibar snacks are additionally available in all rooms.
There are three restaurants at the property, including Chao Pescao Small Plates & Bar (Caribbean-inspired fare paired with live Latin tunes), Ostra (fresh seafood prepared Costa Rican-style and delivered via three culinary stations), and Rio Bhongo (an all-day eatery also serving wine and Costa Rican chocolates and teas).
For pampering, the 11,000-square-foot ONDA Spa proposes a wide menu of services in its nine treatment rooms (three are outdoors), plus a 24-hour gym. Two swimming pools and private beach access round out the perks at the new property.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Andaz Peninsula Papagayo
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- $109 & up -- San Francisco: 4-Star Hotel DealsSan Francisco Travel
- $198 & up -- Bahamas: 4-Star All-Incl. Beach Resort, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $199 -- Bahamas Atlantis in Spring incl. Air CreditAtlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $259 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Baja Mexico Cruise w/UpgradeCarnival Cruise Line
- $1799 & up -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $72 & up -- OR: Portland Hotels on Sale Through SpringFeatured Destination: Portland