Chic Hotel Debuts in Costa Rica: Andaz Peninsula Papagayo
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, in Guanacaste, Costa Rica, on December 20. It debuts on the heels of Andaz Maui at Wailea's September opening on the Hawaiian island of Maui.
Perched alongside the Pacific Ocean, and with views of the Bay of Culebra, Costa Rican architect Ronald Zurcher was tapped to create a free-flowing design—inspired by the shapes of cocoons and seashells—that fits into Andaz's philosophy of curating a place to capture local culture. For example, surf enthusiast twin brothers Alex and Mike Faherty (of Faherty Brand, a line of surf and swim lifestyle apparel) have authored a How to Surf Costa Rica Guide for guests, and there are 15 artworks by Salvador Odrec throughout the hotel that offer an intimate glimpse of Costa Rican culture. An exclusive hotel soundtrack is also filled with songs inspired by Costa Rica as selected by Jared Dietch, a New York City DJ who has done the same for The James Hotels.
With 28 acres of oceanfront property, each of the 153 rooms and 21 suites has a balcony with bay views, and comes decorated with woven textiles and carved artifacts. Free Wi-Fi, unlimited local calls, and no-cost minibar snacks are additionally available in all rooms.
There are three restaurants at the property, including Chao Pescao Small Plates & Bar (Caribbean-inspired fare paired with live Latin tunes), Ostra (fresh seafood prepared Costa Rican-style and delivered via three culinary stations), and Rio Bhongo (an all-day eatery also serving wine and Costa Rican chocolates and teas).
For pampering, the 11,000-square-foot ONDA Spa proposes a wide menu of services in its nine treatment rooms (three are outdoors), plus a 24-hour gym. Two swimming pools and private beach access round out the perks at the new property.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living, and American Way. In 2006, she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Andaz Peninsula Papagayo
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 15 Beach Destinations for Winter Escapes
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxury Caribbean Cruises on Windstar, 50% OffWindstar Cruises
- $539 & up -- Jamaica 5-Night, All-Incl. Trip; Kids Stay FreeCheapCaribbean.com
- $119-$160 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Resort with Waterpark, Save 20%SeaCrest Oceanfront Resort
- $419 & up -- Pacific Coast 5-Night Cruise to VancouverNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1654 & up -- Edinburgh: Luxe 5-Star Escape incl. AirGreat Value Vacations