Carnival Dream Ship Stuck in St. Maarten
In the wake of Tuesday's announcement of a fleet-wide comprehensive check on all vessels, Carnival is dealing with another ship snafu—but this time, cruise-goers will be flown home from the ship while it remains stuck at port.
Over 4,000 guests set sail on the Carnival Dream from Port Canaveral, Florida on Saturday, on course to St. Maarten in the eastern Caribbean. Though the ship was scheduled to leave St. Maarten on Wednesday night, a power outage kept passengers on board even once power was restored. Though the technical glitch did not cause problems near the scale of last month's Carnival Triumph episode in the Gulf of Mexico, plumbing and elevator service were touch and go for several hours, with guests unable to depart the ship docked in Philipsburg.
The issue, explained in Carnival's statement as a malfunction "during regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator," took over seven hours to resolve, CNN reports. Luckily, passengers learned on Thursday afternoon that they would be able to depart and explore the island while the problem is addressed.
Carnival is pledging to both make arrangements for all guests to fly home via private charter flights, and to refund three days of the voyage. Guests who remain unfazed by the incident will also be able to book their next Carnival cruise for 50 percent off.
Photo credit: Carnival Dream via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $459 & up -- Weeklong Canada & New England CruiseCarnival Cruise Lines
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Night Trip w/B&Bs & 5-Star CastleGreat Value Vacations
- $59* & up -- Spring Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand