British Designer Invents Shoes with Built-in GPS (VIDEO)
We all know there's no place like home. So knowing how to get home is pretty important. British designer and inventor Dominic Wilcox has invented a shoe as part of the Design Factory's Global Footprint that makes getting home, or to a restaurant, hotel, or museum as easy as clicking your heels. (After you sync them up, of course.)
Wilcox said he was inspired by the red heels Dorothy wears in the Wizard of Oz, which could bring her home with merely a click of the heels. His shoes, called "Guide Me Home" are men's brogues in dark leather with red trim and laces. And they house some pretty cool technology.
Plot your destination in custom mapping software, and then connect the left shoe, which houses the GPS, to your computer via USB hookup. Click your heels, and the GPS is activated. The left shoe has a circle of LED lights on the toe, which flash in the direction you're supposed to walk. Then, Wilcox installed a straight line of LED lights on the right shoe, the last of which flashes green when you've made it to your destination. The USB hookup also charges your shoe. Yes, that's right. Charges. Your shoe.
While it's unclear whether this shoe will ever actually go into production, we're wondering whether staring at your feet will result in fewer embarrassing collisions than staring at the map on your smartphone. But it does keep your hands free. Kind of makes you wish for something simpler, like maybe a yellow brick road.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach
- $43 -- CA: Six Flags Magic Mountain Day Pass, Reg. $68Visit Santa Clarita
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $118 & up -- Philadelphia Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $219 -- Royal Caribbean Cruise Sale; 3rd & 4th Guests FreeCruCon Cruise Outlet