Britain Announces Plans for High Speed Train
Soon you'll be able to catch a ride from London to cities in northern England at up to 225 miles per hour, the AP reports. The new 140-mile line will be the first new railway north of London in a century. Sure, the plans won't take effect until construction begins in 2017, and the project isn't slated for completion until 2032. But in the meantime, rail-riders can begin to think about getting excited about the forthcoming travel opportunities that the $51 billion project will someday afford.
"In Britain there's a particular benefit for linking up our major cities by high-speed rail," Prime Minister David Cameron told The Guardian Monday. "Think about what we're doing today. London to Leeds, 2 hours and 13 minutes today; with high-speed rail, an hour and 20 minutes. It's a massive change."
The project comes as the second half of the construction that produced the Channel Tunnel Rail Link. The drastically decreased travel times can be seen in full here.
Photo credits: High Speed trains map courtesy of Wikimedia/Cnbrb; High Speed 1 train courtesy of Wikimedia/ClemRutter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- Up to 10% Off -- Europe Car Rentals through SummerEnterprise
- $169 & up -- Weekend Cruise to Baja Mexico on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Lines
- $699 -- Costa Rica: 4-Star All-Incl. Riu Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $209 & up -- Manhattan Westin near Grand Central, Reg. $450The Westin New York Grand Central
- $449 & up -- Bermuda Weeklong Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line