Britain Announces Plans for High Speed Train
Soon you'll be able to catch a ride from London to cities in northern England at up to 225 miles per hour, the AP reports. The new 140-mile line will be the first new railway north of London in a century. Sure, the plans won't take effect until construction begins in 2017, and the project isn't slated for completion until 2032. But in the meantime, rail-riders can begin to think about getting excited about the forthcoming travel opportunities that the $51 billion project will someday afford.
"In Britain there's a particular benefit for linking up our major cities by high-speed rail," Prime Minister David Cameron told The Guardian Monday. "Think about what we're doing today. London to Leeds, 2 hours and 13 minutes today; with high-speed rail, an hour and 20 minutes. It's a massive change."
The project comes as the second half of the construction that produced the Channel Tunnel Rail Link. The drastically decreased travel times can be seen in full here.
Photo credits: High Speed trains map courtesy of Wikimedia/Cnbrb; High Speed 1 train courtesy of Wikimedia/ClemRutter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways