Britain Announces Plans for High Speed Train
Soon you'll be able to catch a ride from London to cities in northern England at up to 225 miles per hour, the AP reports. The new 140-mile line will be the first new railway north of London in a century. Sure, the plans won't take effect until construction begins in 2017, and the project isn't slated for completion until 2032. But in the meantime, rail-riders can begin to think about getting excited about the forthcoming travel opportunities that the $51 billion project will someday afford.
"In Britain there's a particular benefit for linking up our major cities by high-speed rail," Prime Minister David Cameron told The Guardian Monday. "Think about what we're doing today. London to Leeds, 2 hours and 13 minutes today; with high-speed rail, an hour and 20 minutes. It's a massive change."
The project comes as the second half of the construction that produced the Channel Tunnel Rail Link. The drastically decreased travel times can be seen in full here.
Photo credits: High Speed trains map courtesy of Wikimedia/Cnbrb; High Speed 1 train courtesy of Wikimedia/ClemRutter
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $150-$168 -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort in Peak Season, 60% OffHotel Riu Palace Peninsula
- $2105 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $1065 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1898 -- 7-Nt. Pacific Northwest River Cruise, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $649 & up -- Los Cabos: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/Spa CreditCheapCaribbean.com