Billionaire Clive Palmer Unveils Titanic II Designs
Last year we reported on Australian billionaire Clive Palmer's plans to build a life-sized replica of the Titanic, named Titanic II, on his Blue Star Line. At the time we thought he might, you know, give up for pretty much any of the common sense reasons that come to mind. Alas, he is pressing on. Points for going big, Palmer.
At a recent press conference aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, Palmer displayed the blueprints for what he calls "the ship where dreams come true," reports USA Today.
The ship will be built by a state-owned Chinese company and will embark on its maiden voyage in the third quarter of 2016. Palmer claims that some 40,000 people have already registered for tickets aboard the Titanic II, which at 883 feet will be three inches longer than the original. According to USA Today, the ship will house an old-timey gym, Turkish baths, a swimming pool, theater, and a squash court, among other amenities, but no TVs and most likely no Internet. The ship is going to be so popular, claims Palmer, he'll have to build the Titanic III.
While we're moments away from booking our own swanky first class cabin on the Titanic II, we also see that this ship, as a floating memorial to its predecessor, could easily go one of two ways. Hopefully it will go the way of a tasteful remembrance of the ill-fated ship that came before and not just a display of enormous wealth. But when Palmer dropped this on the Associated Press, we cringed more than a little: "One of the benefits of global warming has been there aren't so many icebergs in the North Atlantic these days."
What do you think? Is the Titanic II an homage to an important part of history, or a flashy (and disrespectful) cash cow?
Photo Credit: Public Domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1890 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 6-Night B&B Vacation w/AirSceptre Tours
- $161 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain