Billionaire Clive Palmer Unveils Titanic II Designs
Last year we reported on Australian billionaire Clive Palmer's plans to build a life-sized replica of the Titanic, named Titanic II, on his Blue Star Line. At the time we thought he might, you know, give up for pretty much any of the common sense reasons that come to mind. Alas, he is pressing on. Points for going big, Palmer.
At a recent press conference aboard the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum, Palmer displayed the blueprints for what he calls "the ship where dreams come true," reports USA Today.
The ship will be built by a state-owned Chinese company and will embark on its maiden voyage in the third quarter of 2016. Palmer claims that some 40,000 people have already registered for tickets aboard the Titanic II, which at 883 feet will be three inches longer than the original. According to USA Today, the ship will house an old-timey gym, Turkish baths, a swimming pool, theater, and a squash court, among other amenities, but no TVs and most likely no Internet. The ship is going to be so popular, claims Palmer, he'll have to build the Titanic III.
While we're moments away from booking our own swanky first class cabin on the Titanic II, we also see that this ship, as a floating memorial to its predecessor, could easily go one of two ways. Hopefully it will go the way of a tasteful remembrance of the ill-fated ship that came before and not just a display of enormous wealth. But when Palmer dropped this on the Associated Press, we cringed more than a little: "One of the benefits of global warming has been there aren't so many icebergs in the North Atlantic these days."
What do you think? Is the Titanic II an homage to an important part of history, or a flashy (and disrespectful) cash cow?
Photo Credit: Public Domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $1248* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $69 -- Orlando Resort near Disney w/Parking, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $100 & up -- Oceanfront Miami Beach Hotel in Winter, 50% OffBookIt.com
- $165 & up -- SC: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 40%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $139-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, 50% OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter