Best On-the-Go Gifts for Travelers
It's about that time again. That anxiety-inducing month and a half when we all try to find the perfect presents for the loved ones in our lives, even that classic person-who-has-everything. Well, wanderers need gifts, too. And that's where we come in. This year, our gift guides are full of things that we have, want, and are buying for our own loved ones. (Or are not so subtly hinting at for this year.) From a chic new passport holder and a digital camera to a tried-and-true weekender bag and a plane-ready cashmere scarf, the jetsetter on your list will not be re-gifting this year.
Yes, a candle that smells just like the French countryside is lovely, but for the true jetsetter, its things like these vintage book-inspired tablet and e-reader jackets that make the long haul more fun. We're fond of the On the Road edition ($45). Same goes for a little something colorful to dress up their iPhone. They'd be the envy of their cabin with this leopard print case ($40), or this blue and green ikat printed case ($35). For the friendly traveler, wrap up this striped "Hello!" case ($39.99). One thing your restless loved one definitely needs in their carry-on before take-off is a great camera, and we don't mean one of those clunky DSLRs. Snap up this sleek Sony Cyber-shot RX100, a splurge at $650, but a worthy one. The New York Times didn't call it "the best pocket camera ever made" for nothing.
The same way we all want to make our luggage stand out from the rest of the pack, who wants to arrive at an Immigration Hall with the same looking passport as everyone else? Kate Spade makes fabulous holders like this sparkly gold number ($68). And where exactly do you expect your jetsetter to stash all these goodies? Turn to our Fodor' Approved list of the best carry-on bags on the market now. Lo & Son's O.G. bag ($295) is great for a quick getaway.
Even the most glam traveler has to get practical at some point. For the frequent flyer who hates small talk, splurge on these Bose Quiet Comfort Noise Cancelling Headphones ($299). On the other hand, encourage sharing with this Belkin Rockstar Multi Headphone Splitter ($12), which allows up to 5 different headphones to one device. Combine it with this rustic-chic roll-up travel charger from Restoration Hardware ($49)—it has one small outlet bar that can charge up to 4 devices at once. One thing we always (always) forget to pack is something to wear to lounge around in for those random hours back in the hotel room. Try these Terry Lounge Pants ($70) from Lands' End Canvas; they're a far cry from regular ol' slouchy sweatpants. Oh, and to combat that chilly airplane AC? You've got to have the perfect scarf, and we love this pink one from JCrew.
Still not sure to get that picky loved one? Turn to Wantful, one of the coolest new services we discovered this year. Set your price (from $30-$500), the occasion (birthday, Christmas), and your giftee's relationship to you. You can browse through all gifts in your price range or filter further by categories like Entertaining, Outdoors, Accessories, Apothecary, and more. Then, your lucky giftee will receive a completely personalized gift-book with a purchase code so they can get exactly what they want.
Photo Credits: Top Collage: Top Left: Sony Electronics Inc.; Bottom Far Left: Case-Mate; Bottom Left: Society6, LLC.; Center: OUT OF PRINT; Top Right: PencilShavingsStudio/Etsy,Inc.; Bottom Right: Kate Spade. Bottom Collage: Top Left: Lo & Sons, LLC; Bottom Left: Restoration Hardware, Inc.; Center Top: J. Crew; Center: Amazon.com,Inc.; Center Bottom: Bose Corporation; Right: Landâ€™s End Canvas.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
A bit late on the uptake, but I wanted to chime in because this looks like a great list. Completely agree about the Sony RX100--that camera completely changed how I travel! I almost never pack the big DSLR for short (weekend) trips now. In case you're fighting to avoid a gift-card-style travel gift, I've also collected some top-rated travel gift ideas here: http://www.TravelGiftList.com. Could be useful
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $1139 & up -- Rome, Athens & Istanbul 7-Nts. w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $629 -- Balcony: 7 Night Cruise to Jamaica, Bahamas & MexicoMSC Cruises
- $199* -- Coast-to-Coast Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America
- $1899 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 8-Nt., 4-City Trip w/AirAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, $1000 OffOceania Cruises