Travel Tech: On the Go Grooming Gadgets
It's amazing how a little clip, clean, and press can have us looking good, feeling our best, and ready to take on the world. Doing all that on the go can prove challenging without a little help from these seven grooming gadgets; they're our solid standbys we won't travel without. Don't feel left out guys, these gadgets are good for both ladies and gents, and they're all easy shoved into a carry-on.
1. Braun MobileShave M-90 Travel Shaver
Why We Like It: Braun's smallest electric shaver lets you tame that beard and trim those 'burns wherever you may be. (Did you know it falls within one of the few categories of portable electronic devices approved for use aboard all U.S. commercial aircraft?) With two AA batteries and a twist of its foil-guarding cap, you're ready to shed a little light on that 5 o'clock shadow. And when you're nice and smooth again, just give it a quick spritz under running water to clean it.
How Much: $25
Buy It: Visit Amazon.com.
2. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush
Why We Like It: Sure, its two brush sizes and five different timed programs will get your teeth and gums plenty clean and healthy. But what's especially travel-friendly about this dental device is the variety of ways it can charge: in its stand; in the special, included glass (that can also be used for a little post-brush rinse); or right in its travel case via Mini-USB. That means you can charge it at the hotel, in the car, from an outlet, or even with your laptop!
How Much: $170
Buy It: Visit Amazon.com.
3. no!no! Hair
Why We Like It: Every time you glide this rechargeable device over areas of unwanted hair, its hot little laser encourages follicles to grow back slower and thinner. This new (8800 series) model is slimmer, lets you adjust the treatment level, and offers battery and tip replacement indicators. It's not for use everywhere (on your body, we mean), but does a decent job with most of the places you'd like to be fur-free.
How Much: $270
Buy It: Visit My-no-no.com.
4. Fold-N-Go Ceramic/Ionic Hair Dryer
Why We Like It: The combination of ionic drying, which breaks up the water molecules on your hair, and ceramic heat distributing evenly means you're less likely to get frazzled by frizzies. A dedicated button for that vital cool shot of air lets you lock in the hairstyle you're happy with. It comes with its own concentrator attachment. And the fact that it folds up and the cord retracts makes it a must-pack item for every trip.
How Much: $40
Buy It: Visit Andis.com
5. ghd Classic Styler
Why We Like It: This simple styler won't fry or burn hair, even if its damp. Sure, it's a little on the pricy side; but factor in how much time you'll save not having to wait for your hair to dry before styling. Additional features we like include its swiveling cord, which makes it easy to use and to pack. And the sleep mode is good for safety, given all those times you're running around to get out the door. Lastly, its universal voltage means you'll have fewer fly-aways wherever you fly off to.
How Much: $185
Buy It: Visit ghdHair.com.
6. Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System
Why We Like It: Thanks to the lead inventor of Sonicare (see toothbrush above), we have a soundwave-based cleansing system that's six times better at removing make-up and twice as good at ridding your face of dirt and oil. That gentle but thorough 300 movement-per-second scrub is the first step to cleaner, healthier skin. But by avoiding those icky impurities, it also helps your beauty creams and serums to do what they best without distraction. Mia 2 is also available in a few limited edition colors: bordeaux, emerald, and peacock. It can also be personally engraved. Seriously.
How Much: $149
Buy It: Visit Clarisonic.com.
7. Rowenta DR5015 Ultrasteam Brush
Why We Like It: We can't count how many times we've arrived at our destination, unpacked our carefully curated carry-on, and found it all...wrinkled. The Rowenta DR5015 not only steams your clothes back into their wrinkle-free (and pre-luggage) prime, but removes threads and hairs from clothing, as well. It features a wide head and variable steam dial, which is great for touchups. Plus, we like its convenient hanging hook and (of course) its travel pouch.
How Much: $30
Buy It: Visit ShopRowenta.com.
Fodors.com Travel Technology Columnist Scott Tharler is an expert in gadgets, gambling, and travel. He's written four books, plus hundreds of mobile and wireless tips for Sony and PC World. In addition to his daily Discovery News gadget blog, you can find links to other gadget articles, social feeds and lists of his current favorite gadgets at about.me/gadgetfans.
Photo Credits: 1. drugstore.com, inc.; 2. Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.; 3. no!no!; 4. Andis Company; 5. Jemella LTD; 6. Pacific Bioscience Laboratories Inc.; 7. Rowenta
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand