Bacara Resort Wants to Make a Winemaker of You
Wine-country jaunts are great but they can leave you wanting for more. Instead of drinking the wine, why not assist in making it? Or, instead of viewing breathtaking photos of the vineyards, why not waltz right through them?
At Bacara Resort & Spa in Goleta, Calif., a 360-room luxury resort about 40 minutes from Santa Barbara County vineyards, they've just introduced a package suited for travelers who want an interactive wine-country vacation. "Bacara Crush" is available through the end of November and costs $695 per couple. In addition to typical wine-country offerings, like a private tour guide, rides to and from a local winery in a luxury SUV, wine tastings in the winery's tasting room, and a picnic at the vineyard, is the opportunity to get dirty and sweaty next to winery staff. You'll sort grapes, trek through the vines, and assist with "punch downs." Of course, wine flows freely and after it's all done you'll receive a signed certificate from the winemaker validating your hard work.
Back at the resort, Miro (its restaurant) is the perfect reward for hard work: order off a wine list culled from its 12,000-bottle wine cellar. On the 46-page wine list are: a "blow your mind" Champagne recommended by the sommelier (2000 Pierre Peters "Les Chetillons" Blanc de Blancs Brut, Grand Cru, Mesnil-sur-Oger), a winery that appeared in the 2004 film Sideways (2008 Hitching Post "Highliner," Santa Barbara County), and 35 wines or ports by the glass.
Guests can even choose which winery they want to "work" at, including Brewer-Clifton, Carhartt Vineyard & Winery, and Harrison Clarke Wine. As some of these wineries' vineyards (like Carhartt and Grassini) are not typically open to the public, it's a bonus for wine geeks who want to tread off the beaten path in this region, which has been a popular destination ever since Sideways arrived in movie theaters eight years ago.
Room rates start at $299 and are not included in the "Bacara Crush" package.
Photos courtesy of Bacara Resort and Spa
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best Outdoor Music Venues in the U.S.
- World's Most Unique Dining Experiences
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- $2699 & up -- Paris & Normandy River Cruise w/$299 R/T AirAvalon Waterways
- $179-$229 -- San Diego 4-Star Hotel into Summer, $100 OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
- $699 & up -- Alaska: Weeklong Cruises incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Line
- $819 & up -- Luxe Vallarta All-Incl. w/Air; Kids Stay FreeCheapCaribbean.com
- $679 & up -- Hilton All-Incl. Jamaica Escape w/Air; $240 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $129 & up -- Stylish Downtown Memphis Hotel, Save 35%Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel