Artsy Boutique Hotel B Opens in Lima
Last month, a 17-room luxury boutique hotel brought even more buzz to Lima, Peru's design scene.
In Lima's bohemian Barranco neighborhood filled with art galleries, shops, bars and restaurants, Arts Boutique Hotel B is modeled after a turn-of-the-century Explorers Club (where travelers would meet to swap tales). Next door, in fact, is Lucia de la Puente Gallery, a renowned art house. A perk for hotel guests is the opportunity to set up a private viewing of the gallery, the perfect pairing to the hotel's own collection, which specializes in Latin American and Peruvian art. The hotel is also just two blocks from the Pacific Ocean.
Reflecting the elegance of the 1920s, it's inside a Belle Epoque mansion initially built in 1914 as a waterfront retreat for the well-heeled Garcia Bedoya family. Bought by another family in 1954, it was used for a private residence until 2010. Arts Boutique Hotel B's contemporary décor was imagined by a crew of interior designers and art collectors—along with a team of carpenters led by an Italian master woodcrafter—hired to work on the hotel's rebirth. A new three-story building with a more modern style was added onto the existing structure.
Seaside-inspired hues make up the hotel's new design, along with vases of fresh flowers, tall ceilings, and intentional aromas of jasmine and fig to evoke the senses. Continuing with the building's exploration theme from last century, La Biblotecia aims to orient guests to their surroundings with a curated collection of Peruvian books and maps, along with prints and paintings. There is also a rooftop sun deck with a plunge pool and stationary bicycles (with a water view). Back in the rooms, guests can relax with posh amenities like a pillow menu, in-room massages, and free WiFi. The hotel also has a restaurant/bar serving Peruvian cuisine (its menu created by Oscar Velarde, owner of Lima's acclaimed La Gloria), and complimentary afternoon-tea service Peruvian style (with fresh herbs, Lima biscuits, hot chocolate or coffee, and open-faced sandwiches).
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Arts Boutique Hotel B
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1419 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest 7-Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $2199 -- Oceanview: Tahiti 7-Night Luxury Cruise, $1000 OffWindstar Cruises
- $1609 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From OrlandoAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $3799 -- Vietnam 10-Night Cruise w/Credit, Save $1000Windstar Cruises
- $769 & up -- 4-Night Riviera Maya Escape w/Air, $200 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1599 -- Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Four Season From ChicagoAer Lingus Vacation Store