American Airlines Unveils Branding Redesign
American Airlines announced a new branding effort today as it continues to try and emerge from bankruptcy as a reinvigorated and inspired airline. In an unveiling today at their headquarters as well as in an online marketing blitz the carrier showed off a new logo, aircraft livery design, and other brand components. The company says, "Our new logo & tail reflect the spirit of America: innovative, progressive & open to the world." CEO Tom Horton added, "Our new logo and the refreshed exterior of our planes represent more than a change of symbol, but a symbol of change in our path to modernize and innovate."
The new branding has been a very tightly guarded secret for several months now and leaked this morning on Twitter only about an hour prior to the official announcement. From that point the reactions were swift and vocal. Many like the new branding while others are not so convinced. The tail seems to be the most oft objected to component where such opinions were specified. Their twitter account has been quite active today as well, trying to inspire the doubters with comments such as, "Our new look symbolizes our passion for progress & the spirit that is uniquely American."
For the company the rebranding is a key step in their efforts to break away from the bankruptcy and the past. Whether this is a major step in that direction or just a stop-gap until a potential merger with US Airways is culminated remains to be seen. In the meantime, expect to hear plenty more opinions on this new look.
What's your take? Beautiful or boring? Inspired or insipid? Let us know!
Photos courtesy of American Airlines
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Insipid. Clueless. Pointless. And Ugly. Do these people not understand the concept of brand values?
It’s been over 40 years since American changed its look and feel,” Horton said. Looking beautiful
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2499 -- Luxury Yacht: French Riviera 9-Night Cruise w/HotelWindstar Cruises
- $1899 & up -- Ireland in Summer: 8-Nt., 4-City Trip w/AirAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $529 & up -- 8-Day Alaska Cruise incl. Glacier BayCarnival Cruise Lines
- $799 & up -- Balcony on Caribbean Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com