American Airlines Adds New Airbus A319 to Fleet
Passengers on American Airlines are noticing more new planes in the fleet lately, a trend which will continue in the near future as the airline adds yet another new type to their fleet. The first American Airlines Airbus A319 was delivered today at a ceremony in Hamburg, Germany. The new planes will be used to serve many secondary markets in the United States.
The planes are configured with a number of passenger-friendly amenities. Wifi will be available on all A319 aircraft as will in-seat power plugs and USB outlets. Every seat will also feature a personal screen with access to the plane’s on-demand media content of up to 200 movies, up to 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections and up to 15 games.
"Everything about the new A319 aircraft has been designed with the customer at the center," said Virasb Vahidi, American’s Chief Commercial Officer. "The introduction of the A319 is another important step in building a strong foundation for the new American." These planes are the third new type American has taken delivery of in recent months—the other two are the Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 777-300ER—and marks the 25th new aircraft delivered this year.
The planes are a bit smaller than the MD-88 aircraft they are replacing, carrying 128 passengers versus 135, but they are significantly more fuel efficient. American expects to realize significant cost savings through the fleet modernization program. Scores of new planes will be delivered in the coming years. These include Airbus A321 planes configured in a 3-cabin arrangement to provide a premium travel experience on transcontinental flights, as well as more of the A319 and B737-800 planes to reduce operational costs and improve the in-flight experience for passengers.
Photo credit: courtesy of American Airlines.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- $49* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, O/WAlaska Airlines
- $619 -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian w/ExtrasPriceline Cruises
- $92 & up -- LA: Long Beach Hotel incl. Breakfast, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $699 -- 10-Night Panama Canal Cruise on Holland AmericaCruise.com
- $1479 & up -- Ixtapa All-Incl. 7-Nt. Trip w/Air & TransfersApple Vacations
- $639 & up -- Puerto Rico: 4-Star Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com