American Airlines Adds New Airbus A319 to Fleet
Passengers on American Airlines are noticing more new planes in the fleet lately, a trend which will continue in the near future as the airline adds yet another new type to their fleet. The first American Airlines Airbus A319 was delivered today at a ceremony in Hamburg, Germany. The new planes will be used to serve many secondary markets in the United States.
The planes are configured with a number of passenger-friendly amenities. Wifi will be available on all A319 aircraft as will in-seat power plugs and USB outlets. Every seat will also feature a personal screen with access to the plane’s on-demand media content of up to 200 movies, up to 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections and up to 15 games.
"Everything about the new A319 aircraft has been designed with the customer at the center," said Virasb Vahidi, American’s Chief Commercial Officer. "The introduction of the A319 is another important step in building a strong foundation for the new American." These planes are the third new type American has taken delivery of in recent months—the other two are the Boeing 737-800 and Boeing 777-300ER—and marks the 25th new aircraft delivered this year.
The planes are a bit smaller than the MD-88 aircraft they are replacing, carrying 128 passengers versus 135, but they are significantly more fuel efficient. American expects to realize significant cost savings through the fleet modernization program. Scores of new planes will be delivered in the coming years. These include Airbus A321 planes configured in a 3-cabin arrangement to provide a premium travel experience on transcontinental flights, as well as more of the A319 and B737-800 planes to reduce operational costs and improve the in-flight experience for passengers.
Photo credit: courtesy of American Airlines.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $139-$179 -- Palm Springs 4-Star Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- $858 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star Seaside Family Getaway w/AirApple Vacations
- $1599 -- 15-Night Hawaiian Islands Cruise w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1289 & up -- 14-Day Cruise to Bermuda, Canada & New EnglandNorwegian Cruise Line
- $599 & up -- 5-Nt. Jamaica All-Incl. Getaway w/Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego