Aman Resorts Opens Hotel in Venice, Italy
Snug on the Canal Grande—with a landscape of gondolas, vaporettis (water buses), and historic buildings—the 24-room resort is tucked into a former private residence dating back to the 16th Century. Guests are whisked to the property by boat. In what was once Palazzo Papadopoli is today a collection of buildings with two private gardens that feel more like a vacation home than a hotel.
In the three dining rooms, spread across a ballroom and two more intimate spaces, is an array of dishes spanning Italian and Asian influences, and with seating in the Yellow Dining Room (naturally, the walls are a cheery yellow) that overlooks the Grand Canal. (A bar also boasts canal views.) Ceilings were painted during the 18th century by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and make it worth bringing your camera to mealtime to capture their beauty. Other spaces at the resort include a salon (with a grand piano), library, and the rooftop terrace (on a clear day you can spot the Alps; otherwise, it's the best view of Venice's other rooftops).
Layers of art and architecture interplay inside each of the 24 rooms, which are thoughtfully decorated with table lamps for a soft glow at night, a docking station to plug in handheld devices, a personal bar stowed inside an armoire, a writing desk, and a king-size bed with a separate living area. Depending on the room, there is a view of either the canal or gardens. Five signature suites take luxury to the next level, including the Alcova Tiepolo suite with its sitting room and bedroom ceiling painted by Tiepolo, who also painted the dining rooms' ceilings.
Staff can coordinate excursions away from the hotel that are as easy as sussing out the best cappuccino or as complex as trips to Venice's historic churches, Venice Film Festival, Venice Biennale, or the Carnival of Venice. Back at Aman Canal Grande is a boutique specializing in Venetian glassware, ideal for scoring high-class souvenirs to bring back home.
Rates start at € 1,000 per night.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Aman Resorts
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas
- $982 & up -- 5-Nt. Belize Jungle, Reefs & Beach w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $45 & up -- Las Vegas Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1029* -- Fly Nonstop to Fiji from West Coast, R/T incl. TaxFiji Airways
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Cruise to Key West & Cozumel, $240 offRoyal Caribbean