Airport Eats Go High Tech with iPads
Hungry but leery to leave the gate to seek out foodstuffs in the terminal? Even if you have plenty of time to dine before takeoff, airport food and beverage operator OTG is relying on technology to take the stress out of fueling up before flying out. The company will spend over $10 million to deploy over 7,000 new iPads at three international airports in order to make airport dining easier on travelers.
LaGuardia Airport's Terminal D has already been the recipient of over 300 iPads, with 2,000 more to come in Terminals C and D. Minneapolis-St. Paul and Toronto Pearson International Airport will also receive 2,500 each. The project will be completed within the next 18 months.
What this means: travelers can order food from an assortment of quality restaurants—perhaps an assortment of bruschetta from the Italian Bar Brace, a pizza from Crust or a steak frites from Bisoux brasserie at LaGuardia—and have it delivered within 15 minutes right to the gate. The iPads are used to order within the restaurants, also, cutting down on service delays and waiting times.
In addition to allowing easy placement of orders, the iPads give travelers free internet usage and the availability to securely log on to Facebook, Twitter, and personal email while dining. Travelers can also stay up-to-date on flight status, catch up on the news with pre-loaded apps like USA Today, or entertain themselves with games like Hangman.
OTG has an award-winning history of upgrading restaurant options at airports, including JFK's Terminal 5. Their latest project, LaGuardia's terminals C and D, brought in big-name culinary consultants like Jason Denton 'inoteca for Bar Brace; Andrew Carmellini of the Dutch for Victory Grill; Michael Lomonaco of Porter House for Prime; Co's Jim Lahey for Crust; and Minetta Tavern's Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson for Bisoux.
Photo credits: All photos courtesy of OTG
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers