Air Canada Passenger Finds Needle in Sandwich
In the latest round of airline food fiascoes, what appeared to be a sewing needle was found in a pre-packaged sandwich on board an Air Canada flight on Monday, the Toronto Star reports. The flight was bound for Toronto from Victoria, and the needle was found by a passenger.
The incident occurred two weeks after an initial slew of needles—six in all—were discovered in sandwiches aboard four different Delta flights departing Amsterdam, one after it reportedly stabbed a passenger in the mouth.
"Safety is always our top priority so we are taking this matter very seriously," Air Canada spokesperson Peter Fitzpatrick said in email correspondence with the Toronto Star. "We immediately contacted the caterers that provision our flights, and a full investigation is under way."
While it's still unclear whether the two incidents are related, the Star reports that the parent company of Gate Gourmet, the caterer for Delta Air Lines and the makers of the sandwiches in the first incident, acquired the Canadian airline caterer Cara Airline Solutions in 2010. Air Canada could not confirm who their current caterer is, but at the time of the acquisition in 2010, Cara Airline Solutions had Air Canada as a client.
It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), that as fliers we expect a certain level of safety guaranteed from our airlines. As customers, we are subject to more and more rigorous safety checks before we make it to our seats. It's reasonable to expect that the food, and those who handle the food, are subject to the same rigors. Flights are expensive, and a reasonable level of security should come as part of that high price tag. Note to airlines: that means leaving the stabbing implements off the edibles (particularly the edibles travelers now have to pay for).
Photo credit: Air Canada flight via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com