Ace Hotel to Open in Panama this Fall
The eclectic, funky vibe at Ace Hotels in Palm Springs, Calif., Portland; Seattle; and New York City is heading to its Southernmost region yet: Panama City, Panama. Yesterday Ace Hotels announced the news on its blog.
Eschewing the Ace name in favor of American Trade Hotel and Hall, the 50-room property—expected to open sometime this fall – will bring new life to a recently restored building in Casco Viejo. This is a neighborhood dating back to 1673. With an eye on thoughtful, extensive renovations that didn't lose sight of the building's historical value, Atelier Ace (the "creative crew" behind Ace Hotels) partnered with Panama City-based developer Conservatorio and Commune Design (created Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs).
More details about the property are still being doled out, although reservations can be booked for January of 2014 and beyond through the hotel's website. Linking back to the building's history as a department store called American Trade, where Panamanians and expats alike could once score high-end American-made products, that name was chosen to represent its next chapter. According to the New York Times, in addition to accommodations there will be a jazz bar, farm-to-table restaurant, and rooftop deck (pictured) and pool, plus Panamanian coffee roasted and brewed on-site.
Later this year, Ace Hotels will also open in downtown Los Angeles and London's East End.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Ace Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Walking Food Tours Around the U.S.
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $251 & up -- Fall Weekends at NYC-Area 4-Star Hotel, 10% OffThe Westin Jersey City Newport
- $4399 & up -- Australia Luxe Ayers Rock, Reef & Sydney w/AirDown Under Endeavours
- $49 & up -- Orlando Hotels near Disney on Sale, Half OffBookIt.com
- $579 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $141 & up -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa