Ace Hotel to Open in Panama this Fall
The eclectic, funky vibe at Ace Hotels in Palm Springs, Calif., Portland; Seattle; and New York City is heading to its Southernmost region yet: Panama City, Panama. Yesterday Ace Hotels announced the news on its blog.
Eschewing the Ace name in favor of American Trade Hotel and Hall, the 50-room property—expected to open sometime this fall – will bring new life to a recently restored building in Casco Viejo. This is a neighborhood dating back to 1673. With an eye on thoughtful, extensive renovations that didn't lose sight of the building's historical value, Atelier Ace (the "creative crew" behind Ace Hotels) partnered with Panama City-based developer Conservatorio and Commune Design (created Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs).
More details about the property are still being doled out, although reservations can be booked for January of 2014 and beyond through the hotel's website. Linking back to the building's history as a department store called American Trade, where Panamanians and expats alike could once score high-end American-made products, that name was chosen to represent its next chapter. According to the New York Times, in addition to accommodations there will be a jazz bar, farm-to-table restaurant, and rooftop deck (pictured) and pool, plus Panamanian coffee roasted and brewed on-site.
Later this year, Ace Hotels will also open in downtown Los Angeles and London's East End.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Ace Hotels
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- 4-Star All-Incl. Punta Cana Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $149-$189 -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Seattle
- $209-$259 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $219 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Beach Resort, Save 30%Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $269-$289 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffWestin St. Francis
- $209 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line