Ace Hotel Opens in London
Ace Hotel—already known for bringing a hipster vibe to its boutique properties in Palm Springs, California; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; and New York City—debuted in London's Shoreditch neighborhood with a bang earlier this fall. This is its first European location.
Near to the 264-room hotel are art galleries, trendy boutiques, theatres, and Brick Lane Market (a market selling antiques, art, and vintage finds each Sunday). Shoreditch is a haven for creative types and the options for similarly minded tourists are many.
Five room categories are available at Ace Hotel Shoreditch. All include free WiFi, stylish vintage furniture, a flatscreen television, and original art. Some rooms help you dial back to previous decades with Rega turntables (no worries, a vinyl collection is available too). For more contemporary tunes, Ace Hotel's curated radio station delivers via a Revo radio.
Bulldog Edition is the lobby's café and the result of a partnership with Square Mile Coffee Roasters. With World Barista Champion James Hoffman presiding over the coffee menu, which features milk sourced from pasture-raised cows at England's Northiam Dairy.
From fish-and-chips and Dorset oysters for dinner to barley porridge and eggy bread for breakfast, Hoi Polloi, open since early October is a modern-style British brasserie that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with afternoon-tea service. And this is no run-of-the-mill spot of tea: included on the menu are delicacies like crab butter and scones, or cherry and vanilla marshmallows. The eatery employs a music director (whose creation Sunday Strings by Xavior is a hit during Sunday brunch) and prints its menu on newspaper.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Ace Hotel London
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $125 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $47* & up -- Ends 10/21: One-Day Nationwide Fare Sale, O/WVirgin America
- $183 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Downtown Tribeca Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Tribeca
- $8.55 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $329-$379 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $94-$151 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue