Ace Hotel Opens in London
Ace Hotel—already known for bringing a hipster vibe to its boutique properties in Palm Springs, California; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; and New York City—debuted in London's Shoreditch neighborhood with a bang earlier this fall. This is its first European location.
Near to the 264-room hotel are art galleries, trendy boutiques, theatres, and Brick Lane Market (a market selling antiques, art, and vintage finds each Sunday). Shoreditch is a haven for creative types and the options for similarly minded tourists are many.
Five room categories are available at Ace Hotel Shoreditch. All include free WiFi, stylish vintage furniture, a flatscreen television, and original art. Some rooms help you dial back to previous decades with Rega turntables (no worries, a vinyl collection is available too). For more contemporary tunes, Ace Hotel's curated radio station delivers via a Revo radio.
Bulldog Edition is the lobby's café and the result of a partnership with Square Mile Coffee Roasters. With World Barista Champion James Hoffman presiding over the coffee menu, which features milk sourced from pasture-raised cows at England's Northiam Dairy.
From fish-and-chips and Dorset oysters for dinner to barley porridge and eggy bread for breakfast, Hoi Polloi, open since early October is a modern-style British brasserie that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with afternoon-tea service. And this is no run-of-the-mill spot of tea: included on the menu are delicacies like crab butter and scones, or cherry and vanilla marshmallows. The eatery employs a music director (whose creation Sunday Strings by Xavior is a hit during Sunday brunch) and prints its menu on newspaper.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Ace Hotel London
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- $135-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, $100 OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
- $119 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $140 & up -- Downtown D.C. Hotel Sale thru Fall, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $95 & up -- Fort Lauderdale 4-Star Beach Hotel w/ExtrasSheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $169 -- FL: St. Augustine 4-Diamond Luxe Hotel, Save 55%Casa Monica Hotel