Ace Hotel Opens in London
Ace Hotel—already known for bringing a hipster vibe to its boutique properties in Palm Springs, California; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; and New York City—debuted in London's Shoreditch neighborhood with a bang earlier this fall. This is its first European location.
Near to the 264-room hotel are art galleries, trendy boutiques, theatres, and Brick Lane Market (a market selling antiques, art, and vintage finds each Sunday). Shoreditch is a haven for creative types and the options for similarly minded tourists are many.
Five room categories are available at Ace Hotel Shoreditch. All include free WiFi, stylish vintage furniture, a flatscreen television, and original art. Some rooms help you dial back to previous decades with Rega turntables (no worries, a vinyl collection is available too). For more contemporary tunes, Ace Hotel's curated radio station delivers via a Revo radio.
Bulldog Edition is the lobby's café and the result of a partnership with Square Mile Coffee Roasters. With World Barista Champion James Hoffman presiding over the coffee menu, which features milk sourced from pasture-raised cows at England's Northiam Dairy.
From fish-and-chips and Dorset oysters for dinner to barley porridge and eggy bread for breakfast, Hoi Polloi, open since early October is a modern-style British brasserie that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with afternoon-tea service. And this is no run-of-the-mill spot of tea: included on the menu are delicacies like crab butter and scones, or cherry and vanilla marshmallows. The eatery employs a music director (whose creation Sunday Strings by Xavior is a hit during Sunday brunch) and prints its menu on newspaper.
Kristine Hansen is a freelance writer based in Milwaukee where she reports on food, wine, and travel topics around the globe for Fodors.com, along with new-hotel openings. She also writes for Wine Enthusiast, TIME, Whole Living and American Way. In 2006 she co-authored The Complete Idiot's Guide to Coffee and Tea (Alpha Books/Penguin). You can follow her on Twitter @kristineahansen or through her web site.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Ace Hotel London
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $199 & up -- Downtown Chicago 4-Star Hotel, Save 65%The Westin Chicago River North
- $92 & up -- Tucson 4-Diamond Resort, Save 60%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $549 & up -- Ends 8/24: Alaska Cruises w/All-Incl. OptionNorwegian Cruise Line
- $599 & up -- Riviera Maya: All-Incl. Beach Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $96 -- 4-Star All-Incl. Beachfront Jamaica Resort, 55% OffBookIt.com
- $599* & up -- Scandinavia & Europe Winter & Spring Sale, R/TScandinavian Airlines