5 Reasons to Go to Bermuda Now
The island of Bermuda, located 600 miles off the coast of North Carolina is known for its pink-sand beaches, charming pastel buildings in the capital of Hamilton, and perfectly manicured golf courses. It is also known for its British-influenced traditions—everything from afternoon tea to cricket matches—making a visit here like stepping back to a more genteel era. But, rest assured, the island is always updating itself (sprucing up resorts, adding new restaurants) so now's the time to put Bermuda back on your radar if you're looking for a warm weather getaway.
New York City has always been a popular point of departure to Bermuda. And this April, Delta will launch a new daily non-stop flight service from New York's LaGuardia to Bermuda's L.F. Wade International Airport. The two-hour flights will depart at 9:55 am and land just after 1 pm (local time). From the airport, it's a quick taxi ride to the beachfront resorts on the south shore so you can be lounging on the sand sipping a Dark 'n Stormy, the island's national drink, in no time.
The Grand Dame
The island was buzzing when local Bermudian Peter Green bought the iconic Fairmont Hamilton Princess, the sprawling pink-hued hotel dating from 1885. Named after Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Princess has long been the social hub of Hamilton counting Mark Twain and Ian Fleming as former guests. Green plans on major refurbishments in the coming years—though unlikely to change is afternoon tea in the Heritage Court with finger sandwiches and mini scones with clotted cream served on multi-tired silver trays.
A luxury resort with 88 rooms, Tucker's Point is a pristine private beach and 18-hole golf course that became part of the prestigious Rosewood Hotels & Resorts group in 2009, and has several dining spots including its signature Point restaurant with a seafood-rich menu (think local spiny lobster with black truffle) and a 3,000 bottle wine room. Its newest addition is Sul Verde in the golf course's clubhouse serving Italian dishes such as antipasto, risotto, and orecchiette pasta with broccoli rabe and Italian sausage.
Bermuda has plenty of fun-filled festivals throughout the year including the Bermuda International Film Festival (April 12-18) with screenings of features and documentaries and director Q&As. Part-time resident and film star Michael Douglas has participated in festival events. There's also the Newport Bermuda Race, a biennial yacht race from Rhode Island to Bermuda that takes place in June. When the mega-yachts and sailboats arrive in the harbor, parties break out all over the island.
Though you'll definitely want to sample a Dark 'n Stormy (Gosling's rum with ginger beer), Bermuda has another signature drink called the Rum Swizzle, a potent cocktail made of Gosling's rum, fruit juice, and Grenadine. The original Swizzle Inn is out by the airport but its sister property is along the south shore, making it a popular lunch spot for guests in the nearby resorts. Sit on the terrace, order a pitcher of Rum Swizzles along with some fried-fish sandwiches and fries, and wile away the afternoon in beautiful Bermuda.
Read to go? Check out our cheat sheet on what to pack for Bermuda.
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
on Jun 3, 13 at 09:21 AM
@kdees, you can also post your questions in our Travel Talk forums (http://www.fodors.com/forums/), where other of our widely traveled users can offer you tips and recommendations.
Where to stay in Bermuda...on the water, not a large complex, comfortable but not pricey?
We love to golf, but are there reasonable rates if we take our clubs?
Have fun exploring the beautiful waters of the Atlantic on the amazing scuba dive tour in Bermuda. Discover the underwater world on a power snorkel adventure in Bermuda
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2044 & up -- Scotland & Ireland B&B Vacation w/AirSceptre Tours
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $66* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America
- $63 & up -- NorCal: Sonoma County Hotel Sale, up to 50% OffSonoma County Tourism
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $779 & up -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star Dreams Trip w/AirApple Vacations