5 Reasons to Get off the Beach in Los Cabos
Has winter found you dreaming of beautiful beaches? At the Southern tip of Baja California, where the Pacific Ocean meets the Sea of Cortez, Los Cabos might be just what you're seeking—stunning stretches of sand between dramatic rocky outcrops. Sun and scenery are plentiful, but there's plenty to do besides soaking it all in, from discovering local art and cuisine to outdoor adventures and spa trips.
1. Outdoor Adventures
It's practically a requirement to take a boat ride to the famous Land's End arch, but it's up to you how you want get there. Options range from sunset cruises on pirate ships to hiring your own water taxis to kayaking or even stand-up paddling. Another popular spot between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo is Santa Maria Bay, which has good snorkeling right off the beach. For something off the beaten path, consider a kayak-hike-kayak tour exploring the nearby bays with Baja Outback. It's a great way to learn about the local environment, like the Sonoran Desert's organ pipe cactus and those famous granite arches.
2. Farm to Table Dining Experiences
You can't get closer to the source at Flora's Field Kitchen, where everything on their menu is grown on site. Start by exploring the gardens with a refreshing carrot-based Farmarita, their take on the local drink. Enjoy the organic offerings, from home-baked bread to hearty mains (like seasonal pork specials) to memorable fruit desserts in the rustic open-air dining area. (Alternatively, you could try your luck with sportfishing for the ultimate sea-to-table meal.)
3. Animal Encounters
Looking for something more unique than swimming with dolphins or snorkeling with fish? Check the schedules of local turtle release programs for an unforgettable experience. With some luck there will be a hatching during your stay—you can help the conservation efforts by making sure the (adorable) baby turtles make it safely from the sand to the sea. Another option for amazing trip photos is whale-watching season, on from December to March during the gray whale migration. We recommend using Baja Outback to help arrange your animal experiences.
4. Art and Shopping
For an easy way to immerse yourself in the local art scene, check out Valle Alvaro Obregon, a three-block Art District in San Jose del Cabo. Among the adobe buildings and historic streets, you'll find not just handicrafts and religious icons, but also fascinating stone carvings and one-of-a-kind paintings. From November to June, a Thursday evening Art Walk features local street entertainers, while serious aficionados should consider a day trip to the Todos Santos artist community. At the other end of the shopping spectrum is the massive upscale Puerto Paraiso mall in Cabo San Lucas.
5. Spa Treatments
After all that exploring, you've earned some downtime before heading home. Sure, getting your toes in some sand and sitting by the adults pool is great, but be sure to maximize your relaxation with a visit to the spa. While some resorts focus entirely on well-being, like Zoetry Casa del Mar or Las Ventanas al Paraiso, many others also have strong spa offerings, such as Barcelo Los Cabos Palace—if you can tear yourself away from your swim-up suite.
Photo credits: Las Ventanas Spa courtesy of Las Ventanas al Paraiso; all other photos courtesy of Cate Starmer
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 5 Best Perks of Flying in Premium Economy
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $399Westin Snowmass Resort
- $161 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $935* & up -- KLM: Europe Spring Fares (R/T, incl. Tax)KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines