5 Must-Pack Beauty Products for Paris
Ah, springtime in Paris. So legendary and romantically compelling, people wax poetic and write songs, novels, and even movies about it. If you're headed to the City of Light this season (or really any season), be prepared for its equally legendary sense of style. No matter if you're exploring the Eiffel Tower, and Montmartre, or are spending your days discovering the best sidewalk cafes, these beauty products will help you look like a chic native. The big takeaway: in Paris, less is more.
Need more beauty inspiration? Check out our Fodor's Approved: Best Travel-Sized Beauty Products!
1. Diorskin Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25
When it comes to makeup, "The Parisian look is really simple," says Dior celebrity makeup artist Ricky Wilson adding that the look is about skin care, a flawless complexion that's not loaded down with heavy foundation, and minimal makeup.
Choose a BB cream or a seamless foundation for a flawless, pore free, glowing completion. Use a dab of concealer to cover blemishes and under-eye circles to perfect your look.
2. Givenchy Rouge CanCan Satin Lipstick
Wilson says that a classic French look consists of just barely there blush, a bit of nude shadow, mascara, and red lipstick. As a generalization, "Parisian women don't like bronzer," says Wilson.
Audrey Hepburn, who French designer Hubert de Givenchy made his muse, wore this iconic French, red-lipped look beautifully. You'll certainly leave your mark in the City of Light, even if it's simply on a glass filled with the perfect French wine.
3. Laura Mercier Graphic Liquid Eye Liner
Another iconic Parisian beauty, Brigitte Bardot's beauty circa 1950s and 60s still inspires looks today. Keeping the rest of your makeup simple (refrain from layering on multi-colored, contoured eye shadow), add a simple flourish of feline-esque black eyeliner on the upper lids, which looks "ooh-la-la" seductive without being over-the-top va-va-voom. Try Laura Mercier's Graphic Liquid Eye Liner.
Wilson says that for a smoky eye, instead of using a harsh black pencil, many Parisian women use a taupe-grey or a charcoal color for a softer appearance. If you have room for an eyebrow pencil and sharpener in your makeup case, it's a smart, easy addition to further refine your look.
4. PHYTO Phytolisse Finishing Serum
Bursts of rainfall are not uncommon in Paris, but you can't let a bit of drizzle keep you from looking your best. In addition to an umbrella and trench coat, pack a hair product to smooth humidity-frazzled hair. An easy fix is a sleek ponytail. Phytolisse Finishing Serum fights frizz, protects hair from split ends, and leaves a shiny finish.
Remember, that even with the proper adaptor, your electricity-powered flat iron may not be reliable in a different country.
5. Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Le Volume De Chanel
Add volume, length, and curl without the decadence of layered, fake strip lashes. For your trip to Paris, bring mascara that finishes your look with a flourish of seductive fringe but doesn't detract from your natural beauty. Waterproof mascara is a good idea. If you're caught in a drizzle or even a downpour, you don't want to slow down to touch-up runny raccoon eyes, there's just so little time and too many Parisian treasures to explore, oui?
Here's to a beautiful Bon Voyage!
Photo credits: Diorskin Forever courtesy of Nordstrom.com; Givenchy Lipstick courtesy of Sephora.com; Laura Mercier Eyeliner courtesy of Laura Mercier; Phytolisse courtesy of 3floz.com; Chanel Mascara courtesy of Chanel.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $119-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $718 -- Costa Rica: 4-Star All-Incl. Riu Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $1419 & up -- Prague, Vienna & Budapest 7-Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $185-$265 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis