5 Must-Pack Beauty Products for Paris
Ah, springtime in Paris. So legendary and romantically compelling, people wax poetic and write songs, novels, and even movies about it. If you're headed to the City of Light this season (or really any season), be prepared for its equally legendary sense of style. No matter if you're exploring the Eiffel Tower, and Montmartre, or are spending your days discovering the best sidewalk cafes, these beauty products will help you look like a chic native. The big takeaway: in Paris, less is more.
Need more beauty inspiration? Check out our Fodor's Approved: Best Travel-Sized Beauty Products!
1. Diorskin Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup SPF 25
When it comes to makeup, "The Parisian look is really simple," says Dior celebrity makeup artist Ricky Wilson adding that the look is about skin care, a flawless complexion that's not loaded down with heavy foundation, and minimal makeup.
Choose a BB cream or a seamless foundation for a flawless, pore free, glowing completion. Use a dab of concealer to cover blemishes and under-eye circles to perfect your look.
2. Givenchy Rouge CanCan Satin Lipstick
Wilson says that a classic French look consists of just barely there blush, a bit of nude shadow, mascara, and red lipstick. As a generalization, "Parisian women don't like bronzer," says Wilson.
Audrey Hepburn, who French designer Hubert de Givenchy made his muse, wore this iconic French, red-lipped look beautifully. You'll certainly leave your mark in the City of Light, even if it's simply on a glass filled with the perfect French wine.
3. Laura Mercier Graphic Liquid Eye Liner
Another iconic Parisian beauty, Brigitte Bardot's beauty circa 1950s and 60s still inspires looks today. Keeping the rest of your makeup simple (refrain from layering on multi-colored, contoured eye shadow), add a simple flourish of feline-esque black eyeliner on the upper lids, which looks "ooh-la-la" seductive without being over-the-top va-va-voom. Try Laura Mercier's Graphic Liquid Eye Liner.
Wilson says that for a smoky eye, instead of using a harsh black pencil, many Parisian women use a taupe-grey or a charcoal color for a softer appearance. If you have room for an eyebrow pencil and sharpener in your makeup case, it's a smart, easy addition to further refine your look.
4. PHYTO Phytolisse Finishing Serum
Bursts of rainfall are not uncommon in Paris, but you can't let a bit of drizzle keep you from looking your best. In addition to an umbrella and trench coat, pack a hair product to smooth humidity-frazzled hair. An easy fix is a sleek ponytail. Phytolisse Finishing Serum fights frizz, protects hair from split ends, and leaves a shiny finish.
Remember, that even with the proper adaptor, your electricity-powered flat iron may not be reliable in a different country.
5. Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Le Volume De Chanel
Add volume, length, and curl without the decadence of layered, fake strip lashes. For your trip to Paris, bring mascara that finishes your look with a flourish of seductive fringe but doesn't detract from your natural beauty. Waterproof mascara is a good idea. If you're caught in a drizzle or even a downpour, you don't want to slow down to touch-up runny raccoon eyes, there's just so little time and too many Parisian treasures to explore, oui?
Here's to a beautiful Bon Voyage!
Photo credits: Diorskin Forever courtesy of Nordstrom.com; Givenchy Lipstick courtesy of Sephora.com; Laura Mercier Eyeliner courtesy of Laura Mercier; Phytolisse courtesy of 3floz.com; Chanel Mascara courtesy of Chanel.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- America's Best Wine Bars
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays