5 Best Books for that Cross-Country Flight
Whether you're chasing the sun east to west or traversing the country in the other direction, you'll need some in-flight entertainment. Stop flipping through the armrest radio channels and pick up one of these reads, all the perfect length for keeping you glued to the page for a full cross-country trip.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
A nice 6 flight is just the right time to finally pick up that book that everyone's been talking about. Prepare yourself for dark thrills when you catch up with the troubled Nick and Amy Dunne in the midst of Amy's mysterious disappearance.
The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War by Daniel Stashower
If you didn't get enough Lincoln this winter with Daniel-Day Lewis' Oscar-nominated portrayal, pick up this tome filled with true details of a pre-inauguration assassination threat dubbed the "Baltimore Plot." America's first female private eye, Kate Warne, is a major player as well, and the hefty book reads more like a thriller than non-fiction.
Mastery by Robert Greene
If you're going to be stuck in your seat for a few hours, you might as well get something productive done. Greene's Mastery delves into the lives of great thinkers (Mozart, Temple Grandin, and Henry Ford, to name a few) to reveal clues on how to live a more successful life. Become a master of your destiny, all before walking down the jet bridge.
The Love Song of Jonny Valentine by Teddy Wayne
The smart and revealing story of 11-year-old pop star Jonny Valentine will make you laugh out loud (sorry seatmates). Following Jonny's trials and tribulations as he navigates stardom, public image, and his fun-loving mother-manager is the perfect way to pass a sizeable flight.
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
A San Francisco bookstore serves as the background for a roiling adventure when Clay Jannon arrives to take the nightshift. You'll be caught up in the world of Mr. Penumbra—so don’t forget to look up when the flight attendant comes by for drink orders.
Photo Credits: Gone Girl courtesy of Random House; The Hour of Peril courtesy of Macmillan; Mastery courtesy of Penguin; The Love Song of Jonny Valentine courtesy of Goodreads; Mr. Penumbra courtesy of Macmillan; Illinois via EugeneF on Shutterstock; San Francisco via Nfoto on Shutterstock; Hoover Dam via Helen Filatova on Shutterstock; Las Vegas via Songquan Deng on Shutterstock; Manhattan via Cedric Weber on Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2199 -- Luxe Tahiti 7-Night Cruise w/$300 Credit, $1200 OffWindstar Cruises
- $246 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel, 50% OffThe Westin Copley Place, Boston
- $63 & up -- NorCal: Sonoma County Hotel Sale, up to 50% OffSonoma County Tourism
- $116 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Hotel Downtown, Save 55%Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $1099 & up -- Ireland: 5-Star Villa Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $249* -- Seattle to Fairbanks this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines