5 Best Books for that Cross-Country Flight
Whether you're chasing the sun east to west or traversing the country in the other direction, you'll need some in-flight entertainment. Stop flipping through the armrest radio channels and pick up one of these reads, all the perfect length for keeping you glued to the page for a full cross-country trip.
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
A nice 6 flight is just the right time to finally pick up that book that everyone's been talking about. Prepare yourself for dark thrills when you catch up with the troubled Nick and Amy Dunne in the midst of Amy's mysterious disappearance.
The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War by Daniel Stashower
If you didn't get enough Lincoln this winter with Daniel-Day Lewis' Oscar-nominated portrayal, pick up this tome filled with true details of a pre-inauguration assassination threat dubbed the "Baltimore Plot." America's first female private eye, Kate Warne, is a major player as well, and the hefty book reads more like a thriller than non-fiction.
Mastery by Robert Greene
If you're going to be stuck in your seat for a few hours, you might as well get something productive done. Greene's Mastery delves into the lives of great thinkers (Mozart, Temple Grandin, and Henry Ford, to name a few) to reveal clues on how to live a more successful life. Become a master of your destiny, all before walking down the jet bridge.
The Love Song of Jonny Valentine by Teddy Wayne
The smart and revealing story of 11-year-old pop star Jonny Valentine will make you laugh out loud (sorry seatmates). Following Jonny's trials and tribulations as he navigates stardom, public image, and his fun-loving mother-manager is the perfect way to pass a sizeable flight.
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
A San Francisco bookstore serves as the background for a roiling adventure when Clay Jannon arrives to take the nightshift. You'll be caught up in the world of Mr. Penumbra—so don’t forget to look up when the flight attendant comes by for drink orders.
Photo Credits: Gone Girl courtesy of Random House; The Hour of Peril courtesy of Macmillan; Mastery courtesy of Penguin; The Love Song of Jonny Valentine courtesy of Goodreads; Mr. Penumbra courtesy of Macmillan; Illinois via EugeneF on Shutterstock; San Francisco via Nfoto on Shutterstock; Hoover Dam via Helen Filatova on Shutterstock; Las Vegas via Songquan Deng on Shutterstock; Manhattan via Cedric Weber on Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places Where Summer Lasts Longer
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- America's Best Oktoberfests
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- $99 & up -- Virginia: 4-Star Resort Deals in Fall, Save 45%Virginia Tourism
- $2583* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $152 & up -- New Mexico 4-Star Resort, Save 60%El Monte Sagrado Living Resort and Spa
- $114 & up -- Fort Lauderdale 4-Star Beach Hotel w/ExtrasSheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel
- $724* & up -- Global Fare Sale on Award-Winning Airline, R/TTurkish Airlines
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand