With the shining sun, blue skies, and an expanse of clear freeway ahead, a spring road trip might be just what you need to shed the final notes of a drawn-out winter. Besides, even if you happen to live in one of the perennially sunny states, there’s something liberating about hopping in a car and driving wherever the heart desires. Now, what to pack? Aside from a few key fashion pieces, these 10 beauty essentials will keep you groomed throughout.
1. Though spring rays seem less intense than those in the height of summer, you’d be wise to slather on some sunscreen. Choose one with at least SPF 30 to get the full range of protection. This super-lightweight liquid Clarins version for your face with SPF 40 goes on like a dream ($41) and has an attractive matte finish.
2. Especially if you plan on rolling the windows down, spring for a few hair touch-ups. A brush works well, but so do these individually packed Giovanni hair refreshers, which fight frizz with moisturizing oils ($6.99 for 10).
3. Look for items that will slip easily into a cross-body bag such as this Kai roll-on perfume oil with the scent of white flowers ($48):
4. While you’re packing that bag, add a hydrating lip balm, a road-trip necessity. Perhaps choose a classic, such as this rose salve by New York-based C.O. Bigelow ($5.50).
5. Especially for gas station pit stops, a hand sanitizer is a must. This travel-size lavender spray does the job and with plant-based ingredients ($3.99).
6. Once the sun goes down, freshen up your strands with a dry texturizing spray. Oribe makes an excellent travel-size option that you can work into your windblown look ($21.50).
7. Moisturize chapped arms and legs with this coconut body butter by Body Shop ($6). This scent in particular smells like a vacation.
8. If you’re hesitant to leave home sans makeup, then choose a few versatile, yet key items. A bronzer–this style by Eve Lom comes with its own handy brush–gives an immediate lift. Sweep into the hollows of cheekbones, forehead and tip of the nose for instant contour ($48).
9. Likewise, a sheer hydrating lipstick will give you color without looking too high-maintenance. Chanel makes a lovely range, with many wearable shades such as Boy, a pretty pink ($35).
10. Drained from a day on the road? Consolidate your nighttime routine into one swipe with these generously-sized makeup remover and cleanser all-in-one towelettes by MAC ($10 for 30).