10 Beauty Essentials for Camping Trips
With the spring thaw afoot, it’s time to plan your next trip to the great outdoors. Particularly for those on a budget (or a desire to escape the city), a camping trip offers a lot of adventure at a relatively low cost. Though it’s not the kind of weekend for the high-maintenance type, a few key beauty items will help you feel presentable, if not pampered, throughout. Whether you're camping or "glamping," these are 10 beauty products you'll be happy to have on hand.
1. Don’t skimp on the SPF for exposed arms and legs. Avon Skin So Soft’s version pulls double-duty, with an added bug repellent to the lightweight formula ($14).
2. If you’re not sporting that outdoors flush yet, a tinted lip balm is an excellent backpack staple. Burt’s Bees offers several in sheer stains and also shimmery options, like the one featured here ($4.99).
3. Wipes have completely changed the travel game, and these lavender-scented ones are a particular delight. Infused with lavender oils, they’re both naturally antibacterial and antiseptic ($16).
4. If you’re blessed with perfect skin, just a layer of SPF will do. But if you need a hint of color, Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer (a favorite of beauty editors) evens out complexions while providing protection from the sun ($43).
5. Looking to impress? Opt for cosmetics that enhance your natural assets rather than trendy items such as blue eye shadow. A few flicks of the mascara wand (Benefit’s They’re Real mascara has a natural finish, $23) and you’ll look like you’ve been slumbering beautifully under the stars.
6. It almost seems counterintuitive to pack a cosmetics bag, but designs these days come in waterproof materials and with clever pockets that keep you organized, even when you're fumbling around in the dark ($29.99 by Sonia Kashuk).
7. Short on water supply? A facial cleansing wipe will sweep away the day’s grime. Steer clear of potential rashes by choosing one that will do the job, but without a lot of bells and whistles, such as Simple’s 25-pack for sensitive skin ($5.29).
8. If your trek will take you to a water source, then pack a nature-friendly biodegradable soap such as this one by Dr. Bronner, which can also double as a shampoo. The peppermint scent is particularly zingy and will revive tired calves ($4.69).
9. Following the outdoorsy theme, now would be the time to try a natural deodorant. Pick a travel-size bottle with an amiable scent to start; the classic rose is a good choice ($10 by Weleda).
10. In recent years, dry shampoo has become a vanity must. While in the city you might use the powdery stuff to prolong a blowout, outdoors you’ll find the product is much more practical: A dash of this non-aerosol dry shampoo by Klorane will keep you refreshed until you can hit the shower ($19.50).
Photo Credit: Day: Courtesy of Avon Products, Inc; CVS.com; Quidsi, Inc.; Nordstrom, Inc.; BIRCHBOX. Night: Courtesy of Target Brands, Inc.; Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps; Quidsi, Inc. or its Affiliates; Weleda North America; Quidsi, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1562 & up -- Iceland Holiday Trip w/Air & Northern LightsGreat Value Vacations
- $529 & up -- Riviera Maya: 4-Star Eco Getaway w/Air, 55% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $3115 & up -- China: Shanghai & Beijing Escape w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $489 & up -- Los Cabos Getaway w/Upgrade & Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2899 -- Australia 12-Night, 3-City Vacation w/Air & ToursGoway Travel